uhaul 13' new owner with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: uhaul 13
Wisconsin
uhaul 13' new owner with questions

Hi All,
First, what a find to come across this forum. This is our first camper so please bare with me. We were tenters before but getting to old for that.

I'll start with the outside. Did a quick walk around. I'm missing the cap that runs down the center seam. It is only from the back window down. Does anyone know where to get a replacement or a fix? Right now the PO has silicone over to seal. What did everyone use to clean up the outside? What kind of polish did you use after cleaning? All lights are working fine.

Now to the inside. Well it rained the day after we brought it home. I checked the windows for leaks. Oh oh, we have leakage. At the side and back windows, the water comes in a little and runs out the drain holes. Is this normal? At the front window the water came in, but not bad. I saw on the forum the instructions and parts for fixing the side windows. Did anyone work on the front or rear window yet? Do I need to order anything to fix that? The PO has the outside of the windows siliconed. Not really looking forward to this project. Does anyone want to come over and help?

Now the furnace. I tried multiple times to light it. Tried everything, NOTHING. So I thought about it over a cup of java. Hmmmmm, maybe not enough juice to ignite. Plugged the camper into an electrical outlet. POOF, fired first try. That thing throws some heat. Either the battery or the solar charger is bad. How can you tell if the solar is bad?

The cushions and covers are all original. Did anyone take off the covers and try to machine wash? My wife wants to recover or order new. I'm pretty sure new is not an option.

I did not try the water pump yet. The fan and stove work but need to be cleaned and painted. The floor has been carpeted. Pulled up a little carpet. Wow, to my surprise looks like a fiberglass floor. Not sure what we are going to do with this yet. Thinking about one piece vinyl.

Well enough rambling. Nice forum and plan on using it a lot.

Thanks, Daman (Jim)
daman4799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
No Silicone, that's a bad word around here. Yes you can wash the cushion covers, on gentle or delicate, but I wouldn't really want to put them in the dryer. The solar charger is probably good the battery is probably bad or you could just have a bad connection.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Daman,

From a fellow UHaul owner, congrats on your purchase. I think you will enjoy your trailer.

I see you found uhaulcamper.com too. On both forums, you want to search for Bridget T. She very kindly posted directions and images on both forums for her repair and remodeling of her UHaul 13'. For example, here is one of her links: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-43188.html

She has posted information on how she fixed the leaks in her windows and repair of her furnace and maybe more. Try both forums.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
the cushion covers unzip and can be washed....you can do the foam too seperately and dry(by hand though).
I'm the wrong guy to ask about the heater, i'm struggling with mine now too....used to work ...replaced the igniter board, checked as much as i could....cant get it going.
The windows are a chore to stop leaks on but the rubber felt channel things are available.
I believe the floor is fiberglassed on the top only, not sure but I never hear of a uhaul with a bad floor. you can use lots of different flooring options...I used allure traffic master and dont like it...i'm yanking it this year for a one piece vinyl or something.

Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Registry
oh yeah.....welcome to the uhaul clan!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT
Based on my experience this weekend, I followed recommendations found here and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the go-to for cleaning. I used 3 boxes (12 erasers), I scrubbed very inch of the outside.

Welcome to the U-Haul world.
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: uhaul 13
Wisconsin
Hey thanks eggers,

Karen how did it look when you were done? Beautiful I bet, just like a newborn. Proud Grandpa friday (LOL). Will you wax it as well?

Bruce, the furnace seems just fine now. I lit it again tonight. I have to check that battery out.
Cindy thanks, the windows will be my first project. Not looking forward to all the swearing.
Greg I hope it is just the battery. I think the camper has not been used for years.

Thanks again all, Daman
daman4799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I used suction bathroom item with the Uhaul walls, like towel racks, shelve and mirrors.
CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Registry
my furnace in my uhaul just did that and I dont understand it either...im 90% sure my battery is okay and charged.....plug in the ac 110 and its off and running .....stumped here
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Bruce--did someone install a replacement thermostat in your camper with a house 110V unit in-lieu of the proper 12V one?
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #11

Registry
I dont think so though I wouldnt know for sure if it bit me either. yesterday after leaving it on 110 and lighting the furnace.....I only left it on for maybe a half hour(on ac110) and for the next few hours the furnace kept lighting when tried. If it doesnt today i'll assume the battery is struggling and just replace it.
So with no 110 the furnace did light after , so id say theres no 110 thermostat?
This things annoying, I'm sure that battery will start any car I have. Bruce
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Get the battery tested.

Bill K

This things annoying, I'm sure that battery will start any car I have. Bruce[/QUOTE]
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul