UHaul and other boondockers-here is a handy item! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
UHaul and other boondockers-here is a handy item!

Pump-up Solar Shower
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great idea. I'll bet a cheap garden sprayer and a can of black spray paint would also work.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Great idea. I'll bet a cheap garden sprayer and a can of black spray paint would also work.
The manual pump garden sprayer wrapped in a couple layers of reflectix is what we used for a few seasons. Then Cari found a battery operated unit at home depot (link) and our camp showers are wonderful. 2 parts room temp water to 1 part boiling, mix well, and turn on the shower : )
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
The manual pump garden sprayer wrapped in a couple layers of reflectix is what we used for a few seasons. Then Cari found a battery operated unit at home depot (link) and our camp showers are wonderful. 2 parts room temp water to 1 part boiling, mix well, and turn on the shower : )
Mr. Thom,
Fantastic, thanks for sharing! (even better than the manual pump) I installed an external gas heated shower that uses the onboard pump but could have done as you have and been almost as satisfied, I believe!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 82 Burro
Don, I bought one of these several years ago. Don't expect the water to get hot enough to shower with. I experimented by filling and leaving it with direct southern exposure in July at our mile-high elevation for a week. The ambient air temperature was over 90 degrees; don't know what the night time temp was. The water never, ever got hotter than lukewarm. The only way to enjoy it is to fill it with hot water. It does work great as a sprayer although there is a design problem; the hose isn't supported where it attaches to the tank and it bends over which causes a crimp in the hose line and doesn't allow any water to pass through. It also takes up a lot of room to store.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Florida
Registry
The rest of the story...

Ms. Shirley,
Good to hear all sides of these things. I suppose you are referring to
any of the types listed. I know getting a good hot shower may be too much to ask for, although w/my setup (external gas heater) I can do that, but, at least not having to brave a cold water shower would be a bonus!

However,with the winter months coming I know up north on some days the water will probably freeze! That is not as problem where I live as even a pressurized 100' garden hose, laying in the sun, will provider a great hot shower before the water runs cool...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Ms. Shirley,
Good to hear all sides of these things. I suppose you are referring to
any of the types listed. I know getting a good hot shower may be too much to ask for, although w/my setup (external gas heater) I can do that, but, at least not having to brave a cold water shower would be a bonus!

However,with the winter months coming I know up north on some days the water will probably freeze! That is not as problem where I live as even a pressurized 100' garden hose, laying in the sun, will provider a great hot shower before the water runs cool...
Yep, the southern group will be getting in their camping now, while many of us northerners are packing it away for the winter. My brother used to use the 'black bag' shower method, said it wasn't exactly hot, but much better than ice cold!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul