Uhaul CT13 Front Window Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Nathan
Trailer: Uhaul
OH
Uhaul CT13 Front Window Leak

My front window has decided to start leaking. Does anyone have any experience removing and reinstalling an original front window? It looks like it is an inner ring holding the outer ring with the glass.

My current thought process is to remove all the screws on the inner ring and remove the unit. I'll then scrape off all the old sealant and put an new strip of butyl sealant. I'll then screw the 2 rings back together.

Is anyone aware of any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
NathanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Nathan,
Sounds like you understand the process... I think the only consistent problem people encounter is the unscrewing of that inside ring. Some of the screws are likely to be rusted enough not to get a secure grip with a screwdriver, and/or are just too seized up with the outer ring.
I think on our CT I used a Dremel tool with a miniature cut-off wheel to make a straight slit across a few of the screw-heads, so a straight-bladed screwdriver would then get a firmer grip than the Phillips-head one could.

One additional thought: A respected longterm member on the U-Haul Facebook page mentioned once that---if the leak is very minor---that the product below will 'wick' into a narrow void & potentially seal it up..........
https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolle.../dp/B003T6EJ9A
[I don't have any experience with that product myself.]
Best of luck, however you proceed...
Gary
Old 05-22-2022, 06:18 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When we had our Uhaul CT I remember discussions of how difficult it was to remove the front window after the clamp ring was removed on the inside. Apparently there was a sealant or adhesive that made removal very difficult. I thought ours had a leak around the front window but some of it actually came from higher up in the seam where the two shell halves joined together. I also suspected there was leakage around the glass to the window frame and used a sealer there. I would suggest that you remove the inside clamp ring and spend some time finding the actual source of the leak. Water will travel before it shows up sometimes so it can be hard to find the actual source of the leak. I never did remove the window, was able to stop the leaks without doing so.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanG View Post
My front window has decided to start leaking. Does anyone have any experience removing and reinstalling an original front window? It looks like it is an inner ring holding the outer ring with the glass.

My current thought process is to remove all the screws on the inner ring and remove the unit. I'll then scrape off all the old sealant and put an new strip of butyl sealant. I'll then screw the 2 rings back together.

Is anyone aware of any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Before complete disassembly try Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure. Solved my leak s twice over 8 years. Finally had to pop it out and remount with butyl tape last year. Came out relatively easy on my VT.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul