Uhaul Door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Unhappy

Pearl is slowly being worked on. Fixed the gas line, working on the soft spot in the floor...doing the dinette mod. Just found out the old solar still works and had 17.8 volts...zap. I am just walking around the edges of the electric now!

I need to replace the wooden blocks that the door hinges bolt into on the trailer. Do I need to use oak or some other hard wood or will clear pine do OK?

Thanks for the input!
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Pat,

When you say "bolt into" do you mean that bolts go through it and then you have nuts, so it's acting as a backing plate? Or is something threading into it, like a screw?

If the former, I would use pre-made fiberglass board, myself. (www.mcmaster.com, the plain green board is fine) Or I were going to use wood, I would not use a soft wood like pine.

If the latter, I would be tempted to change it to a through-bolted style, since it's door hinges, or to tap a piece of the fiberglass board (for tapping I'd use the red stuff), and then use a machine screw.

Mind you I'm saying this not knowing exactly how your hinges work. Can you describe it more?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
The Uhaul hinges are held onto the body by three bolts. These bolts go through a piece of backer wood and are accessed via holes through the inner liner. I think they were glassed on but they have dry rotted. I am considering stabilizing a piece of ply with that penetrating epoxy and then using that. I have to slide it in place between the body panels, then glue it in place. Remember, I live in "Mayberry" so I have trouble getting stuff.....plus my budget is very sad.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Do I need to use oak or some other hard wood or will clear pine do OK?
I would recommend using the hardest wood that you can afford. I'm afraid that clear pine might be only a temporary fix, and you'd have to do it over again in a year or two...
Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I have to slide it in place between the body panels, then glue it in place.

Seems like anyplace you could slide a thin piece of wood, you could slide a thin piece of FRP board. If you have a *really* thin slot, I'd be thinking of a stainless steel or aluminum backer plate (SS being less problematic with steel fasteners). Alternatively, could you slip a very large fender washer in there?

Remember, I live in "Mayberry" so I have trouble getting stuff.....plus my budget is very sad.

McMaster-Carr will sell very small amounts of product, you can order online or via phone, and they have a fantastic web catalog. I typically have always received stuff the next day (with just regular shipping). It's a great resource. The green (cheapest) FRP board would do fine since you are not going to be tapping it. (I don't know how thin your slot is though).

Here is a link to that product [TinyURL made by me, leading to McMaster-Carr page. Alternatively, go to their main page, search "fiberglass sheets" then click on "plain fiberglass"]:

http://tinyurl.com/ydv4456

1/4" x 12" x 12" is about 16 bucks, and you'd have leftover material.

One caveat is that I can't see your exact situation, so take my recommendation with that in mind.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul