Uhaul door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Uhaul door hinges

Anyone know the brand/model of the Uhaul door hinges?
Or the specs(offset)

Anyone found a good replacement?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check in the documents section for Mike's UHaul replacement parts spread sheet. The hinges are from a commercial freezer, Polar #412.

https://www.cottco.com/store/Polar-H...412-Hinge.html
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was a change in the hinges at some point in production. I bought a set of the hinges that were offered on ebay a while back by Uhaul, the last ones they had. They are the #402's, and the holes don't quite line up with my originals. I think there is instructions in the Uhaul service manual about installing these hinges. Tom, do you recall seeing that? Edit, I haven't had an original hinge off, so don't know if there is a number on them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There was a change in the hinges at some point in production. I bought a set of the hinges that were offered on ebay a while back by Uhaul, the last ones they had. They are the #402's, and the holes don't quite line up with my originals. I think there is instructions in the Uhaul service manual about installing these hinges. Tom, do you recall seeing that? Edit, I haven't had an original hinge off, so don't know if there is a number on them.
Excellent memory, Bob. I found it on page 16 of the UHaul repair manual in the Documents center. The hinge was changed in 1985, so most UHauls probably have the new hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Hinge.JPG   Hinge2.JPG  

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quebec
I've read the manuals, i can'tbfind any infos on offset?
It seem to be 0 offset when i look at the trailer, anyone know if its really 0?
(A1/8" offset would be hard to see)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just noticed we have a discrepancy in the numbers between what Tom & I provided. He says 412, I say 402, and just checked the new replacement hinge that I got from Uhaul and the number is 402. Laying the hinge on a flat surface there does seem to be a slight offset between the door end and the body end of the hinge. I didn't try to measure it but 1/8" is a good guess. Do your hinges have a problem Bernard?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I just noticed we have a discrepancy in the numbers between what Tom & I provided. He says 412, I say 402, and just checked the new replacement hinge that I got from Uhaul and the number is 402. Laying the hinge on a flat surface there does seem to be a slight offset between the door end and the body end of the hinge. I didn't try to measure it but 1/8" is a good guess. Do your hinges have a problem Bernard?
402 is the old part number sold by uhaul clearance, 412 is the only available polar replacement and is SS not brass. The 412 with 0 offset worked on my VT . I had the opportunity to thouroughly inspect a CT last week. It was built by Atlanta TrAiler mfg. or something similar an it had die cast zinc hinges probably the old style that broke an were replaced by the 402 which is forged brass.
Also saw how an AC was attached to the little beastie with out over stressing the roof too much
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
402 is the old part number sold by uhaul clearance, 412 is the only available polar replacement and is SS not brass........
Right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polar_hinge.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	62233

Quote:
Also saw how an AC was attached to the little beastie with out over stressing the roof too much
And what did you see?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Right.

And what did you see?
They used the solar panel and mounts to carry the load to the double wall area sorta like a bridge. I shook it and although it was not as solid as my VT it was pretty solid. I would suspect some flex on the front . The only issue I saw was that a separate plug in was run for the AC.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
They used the solar panel and mounts to carry the load to the double wall area sorta like a bridge. I shook it and although it was not as solid as my VT it was pretty solid. I would suspect some flex on the front . The only issue I saw was that a separate plug in was run for the AC.
Interesting - thanks for the insight.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Quebec
top door hinge on my uhaul got a bad pin, the P.O. as replaced it by a bolt but its loose and causing sag.

seem like the polar 412 with 0 offset is the way to go, i will order a pair asap.

Tags
uhaul