Uncomfortable Dinettes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Uncomfortable Dinettes

I haven't found an RV that has a comfortable dinette. Since I only camp with my wife and it would be a rarity for someone to bunk in I'm thinking of replacing the dinette seating with some comfortable moulded seats with high backs that might even recline a bit. Anyone else thought of this or tried it?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
RV seats Click image for larger version

Name:	3ne3pb3la5Y55W15R0b4u402fb68b25ce1f1f.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	35609

What a seat should have for angles Click image for larger version

Name:	seating_position.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	35610
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A number of Casita members have changed the typical captains chairs out... but you'd have to go to CasitaForum and club to see those pictures. Here's one that I've got bookmarked as done in a Burro: Per Walthinsen's front dinette conversion. Comfy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
I haven't found an RV that has a comfortable dinette. Since I only camp with my wife and it would be a rarity for someone to bunk in I'm thinking of replacing the dinette seating with some comfortable moulded seats with high backs that might even recline a bit. Anyone else thought of this or tried it?
Are you talking about your Bigfoot 25' or your Bigfoot 17' travel Trailer? Because, we cannot sleep together on either the gaucho couch or dinette-bed. So, the dinette becomes a bed each night.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Quote:
I replaced both bench seats in my Scamp with medium backed reclining swivel chairs {office] They are very comfortable and much better than the benches after a day of travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Finished.jpg  
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Are you talking about your Bigfoot 25' or your Bigfoot 17' travel Trailer? Because, we cannot sleep together on either the gaucho couch or dinette-bed. So, the dinette becomes a bed each night.
My wife and me are small enough to fit on the gaucho in the 17' but primarily this trailer is used for hunting and roading my dog to hunt tests so I am usually solo.

The 25' has a small sofa/loveseat that I am thinking of doing the same. Molded seats that recline to some extent would be more comfortable. What I need to find are recliners that are made for RV's so their footprint is more compact.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
My wife and me are small enough to fit on the gaucho in the 17' but primarily this trailer is used for hunting and roading my dog to hunt tests so I am usually solo.

The 25' has a small sofa/loveseat that I am thinking of doing the same. Molded seats that recline to some extent would be more comfortable. What I need to find are recliners that are made for RV's so their footprint is more compact.
I got this trailer for taking my dogs to retrieving hunt tests and training grounds.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
I agree. The dinette seats are uncomfortable. Your post got me thinking... How about something like this http://www.goodnightnaturals.com/flexarm-bedlounge.html
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That danged straight back!
We're stuck with it because we use the benches as a bed, too.
Our down pillows do daytime duty as backrests, and help a lot...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
That danged straight back!
We're stuck with it because we use the benches as a bed, too.
Our down pillows do daytime duty as backrests, and help a lot...

Francesca
We just did a little test in our Scamp 16 with a half table (24x 30) Dinette, more than adequate for two.

First it makes it easy to get into the table.

Second it makes it much more enjoyable to sit at the dinette, both at the table and at the non-table part.

Third it increases the visual size of the Scamp.

Fourth it allows me to make up half the dinette as a bed/couch so one of us can lie down and watch TV and the other can sit up or one of us can go to the new back couch and the other to the standard front couch.

Fifth it makes it easier to entertain, people can sit on the dinette with out squeezing in behind the dinette table.

Sixth when eating and you forgot the salt, it's so much easier to get up.

At the same time we are putting three side-by-side draws in the driver's side dinette. Each draw will contain a plastic bin for clothes storage.
The table configuration makes draw operation simpler.

The start of our modifications for our Scamp for two.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote