uncured gelcoat inside closet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #21

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
At no cost to me the folks at Scamp are shipping enough rat fur to cover the inside of the closet. They are not allowed to ship the adhesive but confirmed they use the 3M spray product Steve mentioned. I figure I will cut and dry fit 3 pieces, then mask the wall that is already covered with rat fur. With several fans blowing fresh air I will spray both contact surfaces and beginning at the top smooth the fabric into place. Sounds easy enough. Any tips from those who have done this would be appreciated.
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #22

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Are you and the manufacturer sure that it is gelcoat? The reason that I ask is that (on boats and maybe trailers) there is a female mold that has the gelcoat applied to it. Then the fiberglass and resin over that, and finally paint on the inside surface.
The norm for cosmetically finishing the reverse side of a fiberglass molding is to apply 'flowcoat' (sometimes called 'topcoat'), which is regular gelcoat resin with about 2% wax in styrene added to it - the wax comes to the surface of the resin and provides the airtight barrier the enables the gelcoat resin to fully cure.

Paint is for more aesthetically-demanding applications, as flowcoat will never give a perfectly smooth glossy finish - though one coat of flow coat is about as thick as ten coats of paint, so it's a lot tougher.

Nowadays I would be surprised if someone like Scamp, who must get through a lot of resin, would bother making flowcoat by adding wax to gelcoat resin - I would expect them to buy it ready-mixed.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote