Under seat storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #1

Name: Ryann
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
FL
Under seat storage

Looking for some ideas. My Trillium is all raw in the cubbies under the seats. Trying to come up with some ideas so that it's not so yucky down there, and I can place items in there without fear of them getting icky, fiberglass-y, or tossed from cubby to wheel well, ect.

I'm lining the entire trailer in reflectix. Would it be possible/ok to line the cubbies as well? I would likely cover it in the headliner as well. The unfinished nature of the cubbies just grosses me out and feels like it can be a breeding ground for bugs, bleh.

Thanks!
miarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would definitely NOT do it in the areas that are the pontoons. Those are meant to capture any leaks.

Myself, I prefer to just use duffel bags or dry bags.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #3

FL
The pontoon areas are along the perimeter, right? I have some what I believe are drain holes there.

All of my cubbies are raw, and I really don't want to waste virtually all of the storage space. Maybe the use of closed bins would work.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps a good coat of paint to seal the raw fiberglass would help. Maybe more than one coat would be needed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #5

FL
Yeah, I'll definitely have to paint it.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by miarosa View Post
Looking for some ideas. My Trillium is all raw in the cubbies under the seats. Trying to come up with some ideas so that it's not so yucky down there, and I can place items in there without fear of them getting icky, fiberglass-y, or tossed from cubby to wheel well, ect.

I'm lining the entire trailer in reflectix. Would it be possible/ok to line the cubbies as well? I would likely cover it in the headliner as well. The unfinished nature of the cubbies just grosses me out and feels like it can be a breeding ground for bugs, bleh.

Thanks!
Don't know if you have room for them but we put a one drawer plastic bin under the seats in our Casita because we have the captain's chairs and no storage there. I got them at Walmart. I bought the 3 drawer set and pulled the bottom 2 drawers off so I could have the top and one drawer. In the bathroom next to the toilet I put a plastic one drawer narrow bin with lid. I put it on the rubber shelf liner so it won't slide and so far it hasn't moved. I can't get to my Casita for pictures right now as we are moving and there's stuff all around it and in it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
I have been pondering the under seat storage in the Scamp we are renovating. I am just in the ponder stage, but here is my ponder. Use pink foamboard insulation and HVAC tape to insulate. This is the standard insulation for horse trailer renovations and was easy to do in my horse trailer, so I have a bit of practice. To make the curves just score the back side and use caulking to adhere to walls. Tape all seams. (I have even pondered making untaped seams to give access to where the wires for the exterior lights connect.) Again, the foam board, tape, and caulk for adhesive have held foam board to the ceiling of the horse box for 3 years, so I think it would be fine under the bench.

Part 2 of my ponder was to then get vinyl fabric--cheap from walmart-- and sew a liner--it would be a lot like a bag. Either attach with velcro to the frame or with some screws with washers.

This would a. insulate, b. cover the ugly ickies and be clean, c. be washable if something spilled, d. cover the ugly wires and keep me from tangling and pulling on them with stuff. and, e, not weigh very much.

again, this is all in the ponder stage. Hubs needs to build the benches first. There's also a list of things to be done first before that first. But that's my ponder on the under seat storage. Would be interested in your feedback.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #8

FL
We're using reflectix for insulation. What we're considering is putting a piece along the outside body, so as to not interfere with the drain holes on the bottom. We're discussing putting our head liner in the cubby and leaving a hole where the drain holes are.

I like your idea of the removeable basket/bag. I also realized that eventually we'll have an ac in one cubby, power converter system in another, and likely water tank in a third, leaving only one cubby to deal with.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
We had a bunch of foam carpet padding left over and cut and fit the pieces in the space under the seats. Kept it out of the dumps. Much nicer in there now.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
You might research reflectix (reflective foil bubble plastic)a bit more before committing to using it in the entire trailer.

I have read in some of the posts that it has little R value compared to the rigid foam or similar insulating products.

There are some fan fold insulating sheets that are for use under siding, it is about 1/4" thick and 4' wide, I don't remember how long it is comes folded up it is similar to what some egg cartons are made of but thicker easy to work with, would take less space than 1" foam board and not as rigid, might work to line your spaces and get some insulation value. Good luck with your project.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #11

FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
We had a bunch of foam carpet padding left over and cut and fit the pieces in the space under the seats. Kept it out of the dumps. Much nicer in there now.
Oh!!! great idea! I think we'll be doing extra headliner.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Indiana
Quote:

Thanks!

Not sure what you are looking at. Is the fiber glass fiber glass with the resin in it, or is it in some manner loose fibers. If it is got the resin in it then that would not be a happy home for bugs. They would hate it. No cover, hopefully no food, and if there is water you need to be dealing with that. Now it would be bad to get fiber glass in food, but you should not be putting food in these areas loose anyway. Regardless of what you do you will need to keep it in sealed packs. Now your previous pictures showed what appeared to be water damage. I would trace and fix that before figuring out how to deal with this. But it should actually be good.

Now if you have loose fibers then you need to probably do something with putting resin in there and fastening them down. That is very handy man like but not a starting project or evey a starting fiber glass project. If you do this get good gloves (about impossible right now) and skin protection. And cover anything that could be exposed. Then it will take several days or a couple weeks for the curing to finish and the smell to go away.

Now while you are doing this I would think about lighting. Heck good lighting might make this look better ;-) You said before something about no 12 volt. But if you have 12 volt cheap led strips can do great lighting. Just glue them in place and find a way to switch them on and off.
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

FL
Hm, nope, no water damage. It's just the raw fiberglass hull of a trillium. I've fiberglassed a bunch of areas on the camper, that isn't a problem. Likely doing headliner to clean the look up and still allow for access to drains if needed.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #14

Name: Ray
Indiana
Quote:
Hm, nope, no water damage. It's just the raw fiberglass hull of a trillium. I've fiberglassed a bunch of areas on the camper, that isn't a problem. Likely doing headliner to clean the look up and still allow for access to drains if needed.

OK on the previous thread you showed an electrical box with a round cover. The screws looked rusted in the picture.
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #15

FL
ya that's no where near the cubbies
Old 09-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If the seat and your cubbie holes are similar to the Scamp, my solution was to cut a couple of holes in the front of the dinette seats, build a couple of trays, mounting them on slides and bought two plastic boxes to fit the trays and mount them in the trays.
I also add a front to the tray so the plastic bins are invisible.

This still left useable space for some odd storage and more rarely accessed pieces like our crock pot.

These have worked great we also did the same on our front couch,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #17

Name: Della
Trailer: Trillium 1973
British Columbia
Liner

My husband felt the same way so we used the foam lightweight interlocking tiles about 18 inches square that some ppl use to cover a garage floor etc and are easily cut to shape and bendable and they don’t absorb moisture when we are on the road we store lots of bedding etc down there and wanted it clean. It had the benefit of protecting the wiring behind it as well can pick those up for fairly cheap and can easily remove them if you change your mind
Dellaz is offline   Reply With Quote