Uneven tire wear on one side - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My left tire is wearing heavily on the inside. Is this an alignment problem?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Sounds to me like an issue, you can always take the tire off the rim and put it on the opposite way it came off. If this still causes wear, you'll know for sure you have an issue and should seek the services of an alignment shop AND purchase a new tire. I find it best to buy tires and install them in pairs, keeping the better one of the two used tires as a (mounted) spare. That way you're fairly confidant you have a spare that at least HOLDS AIR!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

Registry
Well, I put the spare, which is brand new, on, so should know soon if it seems to be wearing unduly fast.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...Bear with it, this may take a while (and many miles) to manifest itself.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We've usually seen more wear on curbside tires than driver side tires, due to road crowning.
If by "left" you mean driver side, I think you may want to check axle, alignment and balance, before you wear another good tire.
I'd find it peculiar to see more wear on the inboard edge of a driver side tire, especially.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #6

Registry
I took it to Betts in Fresno today. They checked the alignment and said it is fine, and the axle is fine, but the tires needed replacing. The spare rim is a bit warped but the other rims were good. They sent me over to a nearby tire place who had the tires in stock, and I had them put the spare back on the tongue and replace both trailer tires. I asked what would cause that wear and they thought on one it was due to sitting without moving too long (which inadvertently happened this year) and the other maybe underinflation had started uneven wear which then perpetuated itself. The last tire place had suggested running at about 65 lbs instead of 80; this one said run at full inflation (80 psi) for best tire wear. They pooh-poohed balancing 12 inch tires. (Which is what I have.)

So I think the moral is: replace tires every couple of years even if the wear is not apparently bad, and block the trailer up if it is going to sit more than a month without being used.

I'm now ready to roll.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My camper tires both wear on the curb side; the left tire wears on the inside edge, and the right tire wears on the outside edge. I figure this is because the trailer likely weighs more on the curb side and the whole trailer probably leans slightly to the right.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
My camper tires both wear on the curb side; the left tire wears on the inside edge, and the right tire wears on the outside edge....
Have you checked to make sure the trailer is towing straight behind the tow vehicle? If the axle is not perpendicular to the tongue it causes the trailer to trail to one side of center -- in your case it would be a little left of center.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Have you checked to make sure the trailer is towing straight behind the tow vehicle? If the axle is not perpendicular to the tongue it causes the trailer to trail to one side of center -- in your case it would be a little left of center.
I've owned the trailer since new, and each set of tires has worn the same way.

While towing, it looks good in my mirrors 8-)

Do I need to have my wife drive and follow her while driving down the highway?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Do I need to have my wife drive and follow her while driving down the highway?
A simple way to do this is to pick an empty street or parking lot and drive straight toward a target. Then stop (without turning the steering wheel!), get out and sight along one side of the trailer and see if it is in line with the tow vehicle. Even if the tow vehicle is narrower than the trailer, you will be able to see the tow vehicle's mirrors. They should stick out the same distance on either side as you sight along the trailer sides. If you find the trailer is askew, "dog trotting", it means the axle is not perpendicular to the tongue.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Although, one note (which would not pertain to the OP) is that the Bolers (and, I would think their clones too?) are built to protrude further on the driver's side. So while the trailer should still sit straight in a parallel sense, the mirrors of the TV won't necessarily be spaced the same on both sides compared to the trailer walls.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #12

Thank you, Raya, I didn't know that!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Measure each side from axle to hitch center. Both measurements should be the same. Just tape a string on the hitch center and measure back to some right point on the axle and mark the string. Now move the string to the left at the same point on the axle as the right. Should match.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	28421
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote