Unusual hinges on 81 Boler 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Unusual hinges on 81 Boler 13

We recently acquired an 81 Boler 1300. The door hinges look very fragile, do not look like any hinges we have seen in previous posts, and are bent a bit downward. We seem to have minor structural issues we are addressing first then want to tackle the hinges. Before having hinges made or going to the scamp hinges I was hoping someone could tell me something about these. They are shimmed so may be replacement. They bolt to the wall not the support rod. I have other pictures but seem able (user issue I am sure) to attach only one picture. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Robert208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Cool

I suspect these are replacement hinges shown, and not original. Perhaps you should search out another similar FGRV and decide how you may want to proceed with your reno.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I would definitely go with "replacement hinges, by others"
Kinda like these:
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Thanks folks for responses

I appreciate it.
Robert208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If they are working, I agree- you can just live with them for a time.

But switching to the current Scamp hinges would probably be the best long-term solution. When you are ready to do that, member Ian G. has determined that the best placement of the hinges is at 1/3 and 2/3 of the door height. That puts them a little closer to the widest part of the trailer and allows the door to open fully without hitting the belly band. Since you will probably have to make new holes and patch the old anyway, this would be the time to do it. Ian polished and reused the original 2-bolt Boler hinges, but the 3-bolt Scamp hinges work the same.

Here is a link to Ian G's renovation thread. In the signature at the bottom of Ian's posts is a link to his website, which has much of the information in the thread in more concise form. Lots of great information about Bolers. BTW, Ian also sells a rebuild kit for Boler and Scamp hinges that uses higher quality materials than the originals. It includes the ball, spring and bolt.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler