Update after tongue weight fiasco - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Update after tongue weight fiasco

We've made a lot of progress since this tongue weight issue. Two 6v batteries returned, one large 12 battery acquired.

We looked at this for a while, and decided it would be best installed inside under the center bunk. That has been done. We've ordered the PowerWerx PP2 to install nearby, so I can plug the solar panel in without fiddling wires.
  • New solar controller ordered.
  • Tongue painted.
  • Jack repainted.
  • New setup for securing propane bottle to tongue. (I'm now mulling the concept of painting the bottle to match the trailer. It's already the standard LB cream color, but black stripes to match the trailer might be cool!)
  • I've done a new backsplash, but will watch it for a while to see if it holds up in the heat.
  • Gas struts for rock guard replaced (after two orders and returns we received the correct fitting)
  • We noticed that the fiberglass rock guard was a bit askew. Investigation reveals the hinges were loose, the FG on the rock guard they held to was weak, and the hinge itself was leaking slightly into the trailer. Hinge removed, FG cleaned, new Butyl tape, new bolts on rock guard, with reinforcement inside the guard.
  • Then noticed gasket around window is failing, will likely need to replace window.

Still to do:
  • Install mini blinds
  • Install curtains
  • Install valances
  • Get last cushion made for new bed
  • Remove old table supports
  • Remove flooring
  • Add new flooring
  • Add new table mount
  • Paint cabinets where stuff has been removed exposing original wood
  • Drink more beer!
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Progress! I'll look forward to pictures when you finish the cosmetic upgrades.

Re the LP tank... Stripes should be fine. Painting the whole tank a dark color is a no-no.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
I hope you decided to go LiFePO4 for the "one large 12V". Two 6v implies very heavy Lead Acid batteries. One can get about 200AH of LiFePO4 for less than the equivalent weight of a single "large" 12v Lead Acid.

I replaced my 12v on the front of my Scamp 19 with a 100ah LiFePO4 and am delighted with the results.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
I hope you decided to go LiFePO4 for the "one large 12V". Two 6v implies very heavy Lead Acid batteries. One can get about 200AH of LiFePO4 for less than the equivalent weight of a single "large" 12v Lead Acid.

I replaced my 12v on the front of my Scamp 19 with a 100ah LiFePO4 and am delighted with the results.
Short answer, no. Longer answer is in this previous thread.

Given the very limited 12V usage described, I think it was the appropriate cost-benefit decision.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the icebox in ours with a small 12V compressor fridge. It was pointless with the whole family due to its size, but for some empty nest trips we're talking about, it makes more sense. For me that will be the cue to take the lithium leap.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Progress! I'll look forward to pictures when you finish the cosmetic upgrades.

Re the LP tank... Stripes should be fine. Painting the whole tank a dark color is a no-no.
Full disclosure, when looking at how nice the tongue and the jack looked being freshly painted black, the thought did cross my mind. I’m guessing this has to do with heat? At any rate, although I think a black bottle would look really really rad, I will just stick with doing a few stripes, if I do anything at all.

But that brings to mind another question. I did order a black canvas cover for the bottle just to keep it protected in the weather. I would probably leave it on while traveling and make sure that it’s securely strapped down. Do you think a black cover on the bottle is also a no no?
Old 07-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
With all these changes up front you mat want to check your tongue weight. One of these is handy to have https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2...ps%2C73&sr=8-2
Old 07-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With all these changes up front you mat want to check your tongue weight. One of these is handy to have https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2...ps%2C73&sr=8-2
I am watching the weight very carefully… with every adjustment we make. I would love to have one of these, but it is a little pricey for my tiny setup, and we have been able to get a good readout by careful setup with a bathroom scale
Old 07-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the should be replaceable. Lots of companies sell window gaskets in all kinds of shapes.

For my vintage Campster I can now get some of them made in silicone rather than vinyl. The silicone is far more durable, no shrinking or cracking. Vintage trailer supply in New Mexico has some of them and they sell by the foot versus some companies that only offer in large quantity.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
the should be replaceable. Lots of companies sell window gaskets in all kinds of shapes.

For my vintage Campster I can now get some of them made in silicone rather than vinyl. The silicone is far more durable, no shrinking or cracking. Vintage trailer supply in New Mexico has some of them and they sell by the foot versus some companies that only offer in large quantity.
This is VERY interesting! I think replacing the window gasket might be better handled by a professional though, my handyman person is mainly mechanical and electrical but will follow my lead based on excellent advice I mainly find here.

The window did have a crack when I bought the trailer, which I have just lived with. And it’s pretty scratched and foggy. So this is the ideal time to replace the window. We do have a good glass/window place in town, right next to my RV repair place. So they probably/hopefully have some RV experience.

When I take it in, I’ll request the silicone gasket! And while they are at it, we’ll look at the other, elderly rubber as well. Thank you for the tip!

(I wonder if any of those mobile windshield people have any experience with these windows?)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I am watching the weight very carefully… with every adjustment we make. I would love to have one of these, but it is a little pricey for my tiny setup, and we have been able to get a good readout by careful setup with a bathroom scale

Yes, too light a tongue weight is as dangerous as too heavy. More or less disclaimer.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
Battery inside?

I hope you're not putting a conventional lead-acid battery inside the trailer. They give off explosive hydrogen gas.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad S. View Post
I hope you're not putting a conventional lead-acid battery inside the trailer. They give off explosive hydrogen gas.
My thoughts too...it's possible to safely put one inside but it must be in its own fully enclosed compartment which is vented directly to the outside.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #13

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad S. View Post
This is a sealed battery, so no worries. But I do thank you for your concern!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:02 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
If you ask the battery manufacturers, they will tell you all lead-acid batteries (flooded, AGM and gel) have the potential for off-gassing and should be vented when installed in an enclosed space. The risk with sealed batteries is greatly reduced and mostly limited to situations in which the charging system malfunctions and tries to overcharge the battery.
Here's a pretty good discussion on the subject in a truck camper forum.
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-and-venting/

If you choose to vent, it's not a big deal to add a sealed battery box with a hose to a small vent on the side of the trailer. Because it's maintenance-free, you don't have to worry about getting at it until it's time to replace.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #15

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you ask the battery manufacturers, they will tell you all lead-acid batteries (flooded, AGM and gel) have the potential for off-gassing and should be vented when installed in an enclosed space. The risk with sealed batteries is greatly reduced and mostly limited to situations in which the charging system malfunctions and tries to overcharge the battery.
Here's a pretty good discussion on the subject in a truck camper forum.
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-and-venting/

If you choose, it's not a big deal to add a sealed battery box with a hose to a small vent on the side of the trailer. Because it's maintenance-free, you don't have to worry about getting at it until its time to replace.
VERY INTERESTING. As it turns out, we will be drilling one hole through the front (probably) of the trailer shell to add the PP2 that John recommended. I also have several tiny, round vents already from another application. I wonder if installing one of these at the same time, venting toward the front, would be adequate ventilation?

The battery is sitting right at the front in the center, and is enclosed by the trailer shell, the bunks on either side, the floor, a top panel, and a panel we've popped in to the "rear" of the battery. None of this is particularly airtight.

And before we completely finalize this, we're doing some more weighing of the tongue while testing things inside. There is a "remote" possibility we'll move the battery again, farther back, and make some additional adjustments. So I won't be drilling any holes until we're satisfied with the arrangement.

In the meantime, my handyman person keeps getting jobs out of town so hasn't been available for more that two hours or so a week. This has slowed production down considerably.

Maybe I'll get to camp next year.
Old 06-10-2023, 01:54 PM   #16

CA
Further update

I mentioned above that we had moved the heavier battery inside to move weight a bit back from the tongue. As it turns out, the front end was still heavier than I liked. We did some brainstorming. I did consider moving it to the back end of the trailer under the bed/dinette, but also did not like that much weight so far to the rear.

We finally decided to modify the cabinet over the curbside wheel and make room for the battery on the floor next to the wheel. That called for a longer run of cable from the PP2 plug which we had installed on the front of the trailer... but 20' reached around nicely.

I'm installing the Victron solar controller in there as well. I'm re-reading recommendations about venting even a sealed battery, and also noting that the solar controller gets warm. We discussed a vent plus computer fan installation in this cabinet, so air could move both in and out. Should the air move outside the trailer in every case (even with a sealed battery)? If so, I'll take steps to make that happen.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:31 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
MN
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Full disclosure, when looking at how nice the tongue and the jack looked being freshly painted black, the thought did cross my mind. I’m guessing this has to do with heat? At any rate, although I think a black bottle would look really really rad, I will just stick with doing a few stripes, if I do anything at all.

But that brings to mind another question. I did order a black canvas cover for the bottle just to keep it protected in the weather. I would probably leave it on while traveling and make sure that it’s securely strapped down. Do you think a black cover on the bottle is also a no no?
My former Aliner Expedition came with a black canvas cover for the LP tanks, was no problem and looked "neat"
roadfossil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight