Upgrading scamp kitchen window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Upgrading scamp kitchen window

We have a 2014 scamp 13’ (no bath) that has an 8”x18” crank out window with frosted glass that provides some ventilation but no view for the cook. It appears from photos posted on this forum that the newer 13’s are built with a larger kitchen window - probably the 11” x 18” listed on the scamp parts website. Can one of you with the new trailer confirm this?

We’re considering upgrading to the larger window. Any thoughts on whether this is or isn’t a reasonable idea? I’m moderately handy with tools and have made some internal mods involving cutting the fiberglass but haven’t yet been brave enough to penetrate the hull. It appears that with a template to guide cutting a larger opening and fitting a new window while not trivial should be relatively straight forward, but I don’t know enough of the install details to know what to be concerned about.

We’ll be within a day of Backus on a fall trip so an alternative if this is over my skill level would be to see if the Scamp factory would do the install.

Any advice and guidance will be appreciated.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

As long as it’s not smaller in any dimension, installation is straightforward. The increased height should allow you to compensate for any difference in the corner radius.

On the other hand, if you wait and have Scamp do it, what you save on shipping now might well pay for the installation labor. Windows generally have to be crated and shipped by common carrier.

That window is a available in both clear and frosted. Normally Scamp puts a frosted window behind the stove to avoid having curtains near a flame. If you want a view, you’ll want the clear one. Then you’ll have to figure out privacy when you need it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No brainer here, have Scamp do it. The times I have seen people post what Scamp has charged for installations, I am always pleasantly surprised by their reasonable costs. Imagine having the Ford factory do an installation on your truck! Cheap? Not a chance.

Avoid the shipping hassles on a window, crating, damage or whatever. And a worker at Scamp that probably has installed thousands of windows can do the job so much faster, with the right tools and supplies in hand.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wouldn't the window have been provided by a window manufacturer, like Hehr? And wouldn't a glass shop near the OP be able to order the window and install it. Cheaper than driving to Scamp.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Except poster stated he was going to be near Backus this fall. I would much prefer Scamp do it than myself, or a local window person either.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry

I don’t know if it would be. By most accounts, ordering a custom window directly from Hehr is more expensive than a stock size from Scamp, and you’d still have to pay shipping and installation labor.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The issue isn't just cutting the hull, it's trimming the Reflectix and Rat Fur... neatly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The issue isn't just cutting the hull, it's trimming the Reflectix and Rat Fur... neatly.

Agreed Donna. This is the sort of potentially tricky detail that worries me. First time is when you make most of your mistakes and I only plan on one time for this process so I'll be starting and ending near the bottom of my learning curve. The scamp folks presumably have a lot more experience though I'm not certain how often they modify an already built unit.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Just call Scamp and ask if they will do it and cost.

I have had things installed by the Scamp factory and they only charged the normal price, if you had bought the item as an option on a new trailer. Fantastic Fan, new door seal. Plus, they checked and cleaned out the hubs on my newly installed axle (not by them) when it started throwing grease. They did not charge for this and assured me there was no problem other than slightly over filled bearings. That turned out to be correct.

They took my trailer directly into the shop when I arrived for my 8 AM appointment, and I was back on the road on my vacation by noon, just as they promised.

The kicker, was that when I was making the payment for the service, they brought out a new door curtain for me. I had mentioned that I had tried washing it, and it had shredded. They chuckled when I told them and said, yeah it wasn't a good idea to wash them, even by hand. No charge for the curtain for my 1999 13 ft. I hadn't even bought the trailer from them, I was the third owner..

I cannot say anything negative about any of my experiences dealing with Scamp or their employees. While I was there, I noted an Airstream Trailer parked out back. The service guy said they were gutting and re-fitting the entire interior of the Airstream. He told me they will work on any brand of trailer, but Scamps take first priority if they get backed up.

My recommendation? Have Scamp do the install.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
I think you’d want to loosen several inches of the lining around the window opening after you remove the old window. Wedge something in between- pieces of molding, perhaps- to separate the lining and the shell while you cut the fiberglass from the outside.

Control the depth of the cut to avoid snagging the lining. Use tape along the cutting line to minimize damage to the exterior gelcoat. Eye and respiratory protection are essential when cutting fiberglass.

Then trim the lining back to the new opening with scissors and re-glue. The window flange and trim ring cover the cut edges.

Doable, but I still think Scamp is the best option. Wish I lived closer!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I’ve installed two of the small frosted glass Scamp windows in our Lil Snoozy in the bed area. I had previously glued reflectix and marine headliner in that area, and when I cut the openings, I used a multi-tool (vibrates like a saw for cutting off a cast) for the straight cuts, and a saber saw for the corners. The reflectix and marine headliner (rat fur) simply cut along with the fiberglass, so no trimming was needed.
Dave & Paula
P.S.
I think that I would take the easy way out and simply remove the window and take it to have a clear glass pane installed, and simply re-install.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #12

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Just call Scamp and ask if they will do it and cost.

I have had things installed by the Scamp factory and .....My recommendation? Have Scamp do the install.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience Lyle. I had no reason to doubt their good work but your report makes me even more confident that this is my best approach. Is there a particular person at Scamp that you made arrangements with?
Old 06-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #13

Vermont
To bring this thread to a close I'll report that thanks to your advice and suggestions I have scheduled the window replacement by the Scamp factory later this season when our travels will bring us close-ish to Backus. As several of you mentioned, their cost is amazingly reasonable - little more than my cost for the window and shipping would have been.

Thanks to all of you who provided helpful comments.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Thanks for sharing your positive experience Lyle. I had no reason to doubt their good work but your report makes me even more confident that this is my best approach. Is there a particular person at Scamp that you made arrangements with?
I think I first talked to Micha (sp?) But I'm sure others will be just as helpful.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #15

Vermont
I thought I'd post a follow-up report on the end result of my window quest. As several of you suggested, I did arrange for Scamp to do the work, scheduled for a day we were near Backus on a fall trip. I am very pleased with the result. Their installer did an excellent job and we were back on the road within two hours. The total install labor cost was only $100 and of course there was no shipping cost.

While talking with the installer I discovered another benefit in having them do it. Apparently they are having significant problems with manufacturing defects causing leaking in the windows they have been receiving in recent months. They need to water test each one after installation and experience a non-trivial percentage of replacements required. Had I had one shipped to install myself I might have been stuck with a leaker and a real mess in more ways than one. As it was they were able to test it before we departed.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #16

Name: Catherine
Trailer: newly acquired owner of new to me 2015 13' Scamp standard with bathroom
Florida
I enjoyed reading your posts since I have considered doing the same to my kitchen window and was wondering if you had changed the size of the window to a larger one as you had mentioned in your earlier post or used the same size.
cwallace fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #17

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace fl View Post
I enjoyed reading your posts since I have considered doing the same to my kitchen window and was wondering if you had changed the size of the window to a larger one as you had mentioned in your earlier post or used the same size.

Catherine,
Yes, we had the larger 11"x18" installed. I believe this is what they are now installing as the default kitchen window in the 13's. You have a choice of clear or frosted glass and we opted for the clear to get the view. Since curtains aren't safe over the stove the clear glass requires a different means of providing privacy and darkening. For the trip home I simply cut a piece of corrugated cardboard with a notch that slipped over the crank shaft and held it in place for nighttime use. I haven't yet fabricated a more permanent fix, but there are several promising approaches to create a simple and functional solution. We love having larger window and additional view from this window - makes a big difference in the feel of the front area of the scamp.

Tags
scamp