Upholstery fabric: cheap options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Upholstery fabric: cheap options?

We're about to paint... That means that Aunt Cereal is starting to look into fabric to recover the Boler's cushions. The stores she looked at today were selling stuff for almost 25$ a meter! Yikes! Am I too stingy or is that a lot?

Anyway, any reasonable suggestions will be considered.

Saw some awesome camping, hunting and fishing fabric on Kijiji, but my wife said a definite no... I'm getting past the stage where I can make all decisions. I'll have to negociate about the look! Further comments at this point might get me in trouble.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
When I was looking for fabric for our Escape, I kept seeing things I liked that were $75 US/yard. So, when I finally found The One, for about $15, I was ecstatic. So, yes, $25/meter is a little high, but you could do much, much worse. And if you really like the fabric, if it's good quality and will last, it might be well worth it.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Biggie in a trailer is fading due to sun. Sunbrella is one manufacturer - there are others, but none of them are cheap. Depends on how you want the stuff to last.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I have discovered over my years of sewing that cheap material is often a great disappointment. Upholstering is a big job and you don't want to have to do it again in a couple of years. Better fabric is often also easier to work with. However, I am frugal by nature so often look in the bargain area or for stores that sell factory roll ends or the like. The search is part of the fun -- so have fun!
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Sailrite

After I got out of the marine upholstery business and continued sewing as a hobby, I started buying goods from sailrite.com
They may or may not be the cheapest, but they are a top notch company to deal with. Also, they have some fantastic videos on how to sew just about everything. Not just marine stuff, but lots of other things as well. Unlike many Youtube instructional videos, these are very well done. They can also help choosing fabrics that will work for your application.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Not sure if this is an option where you live, but when we needed to reupholster our scamp we visited our local adult education school where they teach upholstery classes
They had a student looking for a project ....
We jumped at her offer to do all the cushion ( free of labor charge) with a donation to the school and we provided the material ( the school had an arrangement with some local fabric shops)
We did visit the fabric district in los angeles picked out a sumbrella material that will not fade in the sun
We bought her some addl fabric
She did all the cushions / curtains and even made a porta potty cover
Believe me when i saw it was the best job i've ever seen
And the class is still talking about thr one and only time they reupholstered a toilet

It might just be worth a call
Only cost us material / large pan if lasagna for her and a nice donation to the school

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I personally don't think Sunbrella is a necessity for cushions. The amount of UV interior cushions will be exposed to is not comparable to exterior use.

I'm not sure if you have Walmart there, but they have uphostery fabrics at very reasonable prices. Not a huge selection, but worth seeing if there's something you both could agree on.

Also, Ebay is a good place for fabric. I found my pop-top fabric there, as well as the wall fabric, so I'd look there as well.

For curtains, I got already made black-out curtains from Walmart and re-hemmed them to fit the short windows of the trailer. Many stores have these black-out curtains.

Good luck!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Thanks for all the ideas! We're planning on just tacking the fabric to the cushions in order to see whether we'll keep the old cushions and recover them or replace the foam AND the covers.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah definitely test out the cushions. Different people like a different firmness. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who does professional upholstery, and she worked on my last camper. Her parents had bought a Mercedes camper a few years back, and she redid their cushions and upholstery. The foam was way too firm for them.

She took their "too firm" foam, cut and glued it to fit my camper, and put new upholstery on it. I'll tell you two things: upholstery isn't cheap, and one person's "too firm" is another's "just right"!

I like a firm mattress. Honestly I almost prefer sitting and laying on bare wood to something "too soft". I err on the side of too firm, for my personal comfort.

So trying out those old cushions for a bit before making a decision is a good call.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi as a retired upholsterer I feel you would be better off to consult someone at shop and have them advise you about you needs. The fabric must meet standards for color fastness, fire retardantcy, wear resistance,. These are mostly related to industry standards but they are very important aspects. Someone suggested you only want to do this once and I agree. The foam rubber is also important ,it needs to be firm enough to prevent sagging or changing shape and size, yet soft enough to sleep on comfortably. I hope this may be of some help in your search for what you require.
Good luck and happy camping ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We just bought our second bolt of the same print at Walmart--the heavier, all cotton fabric at $6.44 a yard. It washes up like a dream, has good denisty and hand, drapes well over the cushions, seems to have good resilience, and the print was a kind of stripe/check so it's easy to cut and stitch straight. Very imnportant to me.

I'm making covers for two "daybeds," one a twin (full-time bed) and one was a gaucho twin. I'm vacillating between a fitted sheet type cover and a zippered cover. With the 2nd bolt, now I can certainly do zippered covers if I decide that's best.

Zippered cover: Easier to keep neat, harder to sew. Harder to put on, harder to launder/dry clean. Double-sided, but takes more fabric (plus takes a huge zipper,)

Well-fitted "fitted sheet" style: easier to put on. Easier to launder. (we have two pug dogs). Takes less fabric and no zippers. Messier look, though I plan to stitch the corners to fit the mattress and have a drawstring elastic fairly far underneath. Easier to sew. Can carry a spare and replace it quicikly.

The inner foam slides into the cover much better if it, too, has a cover, like something made simply with a 2nd-hand sheet. It's easier on the foam in the long run that way...and if you have a dedicated bed, you may well just use a mattress that's already covered.

BUT.

A lot of people have mentioned mold forming under their mattresses/cushions due to condensation...something that can be removed and washed or cleaned will be easier should mold form.

We've decided to use some kind of perforated ply under the mattresses for ventilation...if we can't find what we need, Paul will simply drill holes for air circulation.

You can also get "Hypervent Marine" (like a big scrub pad) to go underneath for air circulation. Others have found other solutions, all sound good.

YMMV--best! Wishing you loads of good times.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
'Waterproofing' your Foam Cushions

I think it's been mentioned before, but if you cover the foam cushions with thin plastic ( I used the kind the 'cleaners' use to cover your drycleaning with), then pulling the finished fabric cover over the foam is waaay easier than using no plastic. I left the plastic in there, figuring it will prevent any spilled liquids or perspiration from getting into the foam and molding.

Just my 2 cents.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Look at automotive seating fabric.

Automotive fabric is some of the best fabric available in the world given the intended use. The OEM seating material specifications for color fastness, surface wear and tearing are far better than almost any upholstery grade fabric.

Many times you can find an upholstery outlet that will have over run rolls of material for a great price.

Here is a picture of one of the "Man Cave" chairs I did for the shop/house with part of a roll of 1983-1985 "Camaro" seat fabric that was an available seating material on the optional "Lear Siegler" seats. Bought 2 huge rolls (100 yards) of fabric from a swap meet for a $100.00.

Most important have FUN and only do this project ONCE!
Attached Thumbnails
camaro chair 5.jpg   camaro chair 6.jpg  

vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #14

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Might order from Eveland's maker of Scamp. Worth a look anyhow.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think upholstery fabric is one of the most important considerations to be made when buying or redoing a trailer. I spent five long months (with my bud Kathie) helping on a daily basis. You'll know when the fabric you decide on is the one for you! If it's something you truly love and you spend a lot for it because it's a good quality, you'll have it for a very long time. Pay attention to whether or not it's exterior fabric and is warrantied against fading. PLUS, upholstery pattern becomes unavailable in about one year (how well I know THAT!), so be sure to buy enough to "fix" a bad stain or a tear. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As a seamstress, I can tell you that while making covers for rectangular cushions is a simple project in theory, it can get unwieldy for someone new to sewing. Upholstery fabric is heavy and when doubled is very thick. Add piping and you have many thicknesses which the average home sewing machine cannot handle. An industrial sewing machine is preferable. A long, sturdy, metal-toothed zipper is needed. These are difficult to find in a home sewing store. There are very few home sewing stores in existence any more.

Consider the age of your foam. I would start with new foam if it is old and smelly. Foam deteriorates with time. Keep in mind the cushion that is attached in the upper bunk. This would require some special installation on site whereas all the other loose cushions can be made off-site and installed by simply putting them in place.

You have received some very good advice here including consulting a professional. You can get some good "bargains" on fabric, but choose carefully. It might be worth it to hire a professional in the long-run as they will do an excellent job. Often the person who does alterations at the dry-cleaners is actually an accomplished tailor/seamstress, has an industrial machine and can do the job. Save the old cushions so the tailor/seamstress can use them as a pattern. You might save some costs by removing the stitching on one each of all the cushions. That way you don't have to pay them to remove the stitching, which can be time consuming. Use a "seam ripper" for the job.

Because we purchased our trailer new, we have the original Scamp cushions and are very happy with them. Knowing that replacing covers is expensive and/or a big home project, I put some effort into protecting them by throwing decorative fleece covers on them. By doing so, I only need to wash the throws which protect the cushions from wear and tear, fading and soil.

Another plus is that it is easy for me to change up the decor on a whim, which I do often. See my attached photos
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 040.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 069.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #17

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
When I made new covers for my Burro cushions I ended up using Cordura nylon (500 denier) in a fun cherry red. It's a fabric used for making backpacks, duffel bags, etc. Very durable, flexible, water & stain resistant....pretty much indestructible. We travel with dogs and it is perfect! Pawprints and hair brush right off. I bought at Sunbrella : Grommets : Clear Vinyl : Marine Vinyl : Outdoor Fabrics : Seattlefabrics.com for about $12 a yard at 60" width.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 77' Trillium
temp covers

I have used a good sheet in coordiating colors and if they are cotton and poly they last pretty good and not too hard to make.
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 82 Burro
Check out camoflage - camo - fabrics. There are hundreds upon hundreds of patterns and colors ranging from nature to digital to abstract. Keep an open mind. Camo fabrics offer much more than the old military patterns we grew up with.

Matching camo fabrics are made in numerous weights of cordura, netting,stretch lace, nylon, headliner, sheeting, cotton duck, twill, denim, rip stop, fleece, flannel, cotton sheeting, canvas, and lovely decorator weight cottons for upholstery and drapes. The typical cost of decorator weight cottons average about $10 per yard which is a huge savings compared to $60 per yard of designer (RV) decorating fabric. I've seen patterns available in 600 Denier PVC coated polyester for $9 per yard. Use it for a water resistant wheel cover or a camping table cloth.

Lura's Fabrics offer a good selection as well as many other online fabric stores. Other sources are EBay and the actual camo pattern manufactures; Realtree, Rockywoods, Mossyoaks, True Timber, and many others. There is a caveat - the camo manufactures print their logos on the front side of the fabric, typically very small and not noticeable.

Camo fabrics don't phase in and out based on design industry whim. The same patterns can be available for decades. Then, of course, there are matching accessories and vehicle wraps so you could coordinate the outside of your egg with the inside::

Gawd, I love being a girl.
Happy Trails,
Shirley
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #20

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I priced out fabric from several places, including Walmart, Joann's, both the store and online, fabric.come and amazon. You can find some good deals if you really look. Previous to our scamp, I purchased enough clearance fabric from Joann's and amazon to recover the cushions in a vintage camper. It took me three solid weeks of sewing, multiple do overs and broken needles and I still was unhappy with the corners and zippers. When we bought the Scamp, I found fabric I liked, priced it out and then realized that for an extra $150 I could order premade covers from Scamp and save myself the time and frustration of sewing my own. So we ordered the Dark Green cushion covers and I am SO GLAD we did!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote