Upper bunk bed support modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2008 17' Casita
Florida
Upper bunk bed support modification

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find it. What I would like to do is some how hold up the upper bunk in our 2014 16 ft. Scamp. So we may use it for our clothes to be stored on, without using the support bar from below, where grandchild will sleep. Hopefully without holes being made. Any ideas that have worked would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you want to support the upper bunk without using the Scamp-supplied vertical posts ...like hang it from the ceiling or something? Why? I do not understand how the support posts interfere with sleeping in the bottom bunk. I sleep in ours regularly with one of the kids on top. As far as I can see it's perfectly sturdy and safe.

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your question...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2008 17' Casita
Florida
Yes Jon I was entertaining the idea of supporting it from above. Haven't taken our first trip till next week and we figured to use the upper bunk for clothes. I was concerned the support poles might be knocked out, but thats why I reach out to you all. Thanks
Lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gotcha. I wouldn't worry. We've used the bunks many nights and nothing has shifted or come loose. I do bump into the poles sometimes and they don't move. My daughter on top is 13 and just under 100 pounds.

I did read where someone installed a T-nut in the upper platform and ran a wing bolt through the loop instead of just hooking it on the little screw. But I have not felt a need to do that.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I built a wooden support (2X with 1X legs) that spans across and holds the upper bunk up all the time, but is non-permanent and easily removable. My 13 yo daughter sleeps up there and the support gives her something to grab onto to hoist herself up. I removed the bottom pad and we use that area for storage, we carry too much stuff.<_<
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Chains

I sleep on the front bottom bunk all the time and I never knock out the verticle poles holding up the top bunk - and I am large. I like the poles, they hold my blankets and things on the bunk.

My side bunk has chains that go from the outer edge of the bunk at each end and hook to a metal loop screwed into the wooden support that goes from the floor of the camper to the ceiling. It also has poles and the chains don't have to be used. I think the chains are because there is metal guard rail contraption that flips up from the back side of the upper bunk to keep little ones from falling out. I don't see why you couldn't have the chains without the guard rail for additional stability and a back up in case your kid gets roudy and knocks out the verticle support.