Urgent Help, A/C noise too much - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #21

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
IA
Thank you all and keep those cards and letters coming. We're considering all suggestions at this point and we're going to look at the Houghton pretty seriously.
Bear62041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
We had the same problem. Then I installed a Micr-air soft start for AC units. Now all you hear is the fan coming on. The thump and noise is gone. ...
I recently installed the MicroAir also.. more to get the A/C to run on a generator (in case of the zombie apocalypse ). I would say that is does reduce the "thump" of the compressor coming on, but it does not totally eliminate it (Dometic 35k roof mount). So if it is that "thump" that bothers your wife then that is an option, and it has the added benefit of helping the A/C to work on marginal generators or shore power. However the fan is still just as loud and the only thing that can change that is a different A/C (mini-split?) or a lot of ducting, and ducting is not possible in a such a small trailer.

Frankly, I sometimes find the fan noise a plus as it drowns out the noise of inconsiderate campers a few feet away, or other noises that would wake me from a dead sleep. But YMMV and the better half's mileage may vary even more (as it often does).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We can pretty well sleep with any noise which can be considered normal.
We have often slept at truck stops between two running diesel semis.
The trick is to recognize that the noise is supposed to be there and relax with it.
Actually, when I was working nights, I put a noisy old table fan next to the bed for "white noise" so that traffic and the neighborhood noise would not alert or bother me when sleeping through the day.
I really do think that part of the problem is choice and attitude.
Many times, when camping, a nearby running stream or the sound of ocean waves can be as noisy as the A/C .

They do make "white noise" machines for sleeping...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/White-Noi...2&gclsrc=3p.ds
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:24 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I got a bright idea for a Casita: Install the AC over the forward vent (by the fridge) and put the fantastic fan over the rear vent. That would get the noise further away.
My old 16' Casita had the AC under the front closet and on low almost couldn't hear it.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Noise is too loud is totally subjective. I like the white noise suggestion have found a small battery powered fan to be a useful aid to catching a nap in a rest area. I figure if a noise is close enough to be a possible threat the dog will alert to it well before I would. Not sleeping to the dog "on alert".

Given a choice between AC and hot sticky night trying to sleep I'll deal with the noise. Having fed presses that were actually as loud as a jet engine taking off at peak impact noise I don't find any AC that loud. Window unit in the next room can bug my sister. She used front AC on her camper with a fan to blow toward the bedroom so the rear AC didn't need to be on.

However if one has to replace a unit less noise is certainly a good feature to pursue. The AC units in the closet or under a cabinet where very much superior in my opinion. They could be replaced with a $100 window shaker unit form a big box store when they failed and noise was very low. Did lose the storage space.

Might it be worth hitting a rally and getting a chance to hear some other AC units in action?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote