Urgent Help, A/C noise too much - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
IA
Urgent Help, A/C noise too much

Just became a happy owner of our first Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 and camped in it for the first time a few days ago. My problem is my wife found the A/C noise too distracting and she couldn't sleep. It didn't bother me personally. But after all the searching and finally finding the camper of our dreams now it seems that we can't use it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you solve it ? I'm desperate for an answer because I love the Casita and want to keep it. Many thanks for any help or suggestions.
Bear62041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
I use 3M soft earplugs when a noise keeps me from sleeping. (This you sweety!)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
All RV roof top ACs are noisy. Plugs for the WIN.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:42 AM   #4
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I use 3M soft earplugs when a noise keeps me from sleeping. (This you sweety!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

Soft foam earplugs work for me to block all annoying sounds, including the A/C.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Personally when I rebuilt my Scamp I installed a mini-split unit that is the quietest thing around. No roof top unit will be really quiet, but there are quieter units available and someone here can suggest a brand and model that is quieter than yours.
Post the manufacturer and model number so that information is known to the group.
Some units have quiet fan blades available and others have entire units that are quieter.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
We installed a unit called "SoftstartRV" to the air conditioner on our 17' Spirit Deluxe. Starts with less current and is quite.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #7

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
New A/C? The Houghton/RecPro units are reputed to be much quieter than any other unit on the market. Sell your old one and recoup some of the expense.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/

They make higher BTU models, but for a 17 ft I figured this would be it.

Decibels:
Indoor High speed: 54.7
Indoor Low speed: 51.4
Outdoor: 67.9

Charles
Old 09-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I tend to run the AC during the day, and the ceiling exhaust fan with a window open at night. Depends on outside temperature of course. Right now, in ND, I am running the furnace at night.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
First , you need to know whether you are dealing with the normal sound or something wrong with the A/C.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
New A/C? The Houghton/RecPro units are reputed to be much quieter than any other unit on the market. Sell your old one and recoup some of the expense.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/

They make higher BTU models, but for a 17 ft I figured this would be it.

Decibels:
Indoor High speed: 54.7
Indoor Low speed: 51.4
Outdoor: 67.9

Charles
Was hoping this AC would be quieter than the Coleman Mach 1 in the 3 yr old Casita I have. Person answering phone had no idea if it was any different from the Coleman. It sure looked like it. I would want to hear one run before I sunk $1000 in it. Also made in China.
The efficiency was pretty low if you were going to run it on a generator.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
The efficiency was pretty low if you were going to run it on a generator.
Efficiency comes with a price; mini-split is fantastic IF you have the space for both indoor and outdoor units, but more than the $1000 plus high install costs. Most smaller ones are made in Japan (Mitsubishi and Fujitsu for 110 VAC models.) My total home utility cost (water, sewer, hot water, heat, air, and electric for a 2500 sq ft home is under $250. But the cost was $30,000 for a total geothermal setup.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Xplore X22
Smith Valley, Nevada
A lot of people are taking the lousy Dometic units off and installing a Houghten in its place. Much quieter and much less current draw to start. I ordered my trailer without an AC, so I could install a Houghten instead.

A mini-split is a good idea for quiet, but it brings a host of other installation problems.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
No Quiet RV Rooftop A/C === NOT True Any More

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Thrifty Bill:

Up until relatively recently your statement was spot on. Not so now.

Finally after years of waiting, some of the Aussie gear is filtering into our US market. One of those is the Houghton (Sold by RecPro) a/c line. Several of our Oliver Travel Trailer owners have converted their Dometic Penguin II (AKA: "Hammer Mill"/"Freight Train"/"Jet Engine") units and are amazed how quiet the Houghton's are. They come in 9,000 and 133,500 BTU capacities.

I, as several of the FRV owners use ear plugs. For now, I can live with it. But as soon as my Dometic dies, it will be replaced. Right now, it appears that the Houghton is the logical choice.

Geronimo John
Oliver Elite II Owner
Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #14

Name: Babs
Tennessee
A/c noise

Yes, we find the compressor pretty loud. You have to remember that the Casita is VERY small and you sleep VERY close to the unit. We don’t think the noise can be helped. We just open the windows and let the Fantastic Fan pull in a breeze unless it is absolutely miserably hot, and then we just consider the noise of the air conditioning the lesser of two evils.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Oregon
Silicone earplugs

Silicon earplugs either for children or for adults if your ears are big or small. You can find them in most stores they’re way better than the foam ones
KellyPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 19
SE shore Lake Erie In Cattaraugus County
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Efficiency comes with a price; mini-split is fantastic IF you have the space for both indoor and outdoor units, but more than the $1000 plus high install costs. Most smaller ones are made in Japan (Mitsubishi and Fujitsu for 110 VAC models.) My total home utility cost (water, sewer, hot water, heat, air, and electric for a 2500 sq ft home is under $250. But the cost was $30,000 for a total geothermal setup.
www.RVWidgetWorks.com works a lot better for me! Nice work!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #17

Name: Babs
Tennessee
Noisy a/c

This comment can be accepted or rejected as you feel applies to you, but, based on our 9 year experience, I feel that it is worth mentioning. We love our Casita for the size for towing and durability, but that does not come without some inconveniences. Over the years, we have had several friends purchase Casitas because they are cute, non-intimidating, and, I think, based on how much they see us enjoying ours. However, upon getting one for themselves, one partner begins to find little faults. The other partner makes accommodations or fixes the fault, only to have a new complaint pop up. This keeps happening until the Casita eventually gets sold and either they purchase a larger more luxurious camper or give up camping all together. I hope this isn’t what’s happening here, but Small campers just don’t work for everyone, so be aware of other signs of discontent before spending a lot of money on patches that won’t fix the real problem.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear62041 View Post
Just became a happy owner of our first Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 and camped in it for the first time a few days ago. My problem is my wife found the A/C noise too distracting and she couldn't sleep. It didn't bother me personally. But after all the searching and finally finding the camper of our dreams now it seems that we can't use it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you solve it ? I'm desperate for an answer because I love the Casita and want to keep it. Many thanks for any help or suggestions.
We had the same problem. Then I installed a Micr-air soft start for AC units. Now all you hear is the fan coming on. The thump and noise is gone.
http://www.micro-air.com/products_ea...r_microair.cfm
They make one for the home AC unit also.
My Casita AC starting Amps were 54, now 15 Amps.
Plus I can now plug it into my home 110 and run the AC. My wife uses it as her office.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #19

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Also be aware that the Houghton blows the outside air exhaust onto the roof in such a way that if the fridge roof vent is adjacent to it, you might need to block off some of the Houghton exhaust in that area.

The 13,500 model is also available as a heat pump. I had a Coleman heat pump model in my motor home and really enjoyed having it kept the chill out on those slightly too cool mornings.

Charles
Old 09-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Shopping
FL
Choose cool locations!

They will all be relatively loud and I'm also unable to sleep well with the AC noise. I either accept being hot when sleeping (which, for me, is preferable to the noise!)... Or more often, I choose to camp where the weather is cool at night......like right now.... I'm in NC mountains and it's 50° at night in September.
Lisa in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote