Using fresh water tank - questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Using fresh water tank - questions

2012 Scamp 16, side dinette

In preparation for a road trip far (2.5 months) I have only been stationary, I thought I'd sanitize my fresh water tank. I have never used it - have owned trailer since late April... Don't know when it was last used, if ever.

I started adding water, only to find that it was streaming out the front door... I had flooded my Scamp! I've been drying it out overnight...

I reviewed the manual but could not find any information about steps to take when switching over from city water to the fresh water tank. Is there anything that has to be done?

After I cleaned up the "flood," it appeared that there was about 4 or so inches of water in the in the tank (but it was difficult for me to see the water line so I'm not sure). I did find a drain valve and drained the remaining water. I did flip the pump switch and the pump does fire, although it did not seem to pump water (I did try it when I thought I was the 4 inches of water in the tank). I don't think the pump would have anything to do with a leak? I hesitate to try it again until I have a place to put my gear (outside the trailer). I suppose I could try pouring a small amount of water in to see whether there is a leak...

Any suggestions? As always, I truly appreciate your help.
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The tank water output and drain is at the bottom of the tank. The vent and fill is at the top of the tank. The tank fill and water output is in the rear of the tank and can be hard to get to, you may be able to inspect with a mirror but to get to those fittings for repair/ maint. it is best to just remove the bench. If the tank is holding 4" of water I would suspect the 1/14" fill line is not properly sealed and clamped. Inspect all lines and clamps. There is also a chance you could have a bad tank.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You dont say "where" you started adding water so I'm assuming the water inlet - mine is located on the rear of my Scamp with a hose attached closeby to the water tank.

Lotsa questions here to think about:

Does your city water work ok without any leaks? And no, other than a water heater "winterization" valve, there's nothing to change over.

Did your tank already have ANY water in it?? (the 4" you mention) Or was the 4" of water from where you started filling up the tank?

In my opinion, you have a MAJOR crack in the hose running from your water inlet on the outside of your trailer to the tank--- which would answer for some running in the tank and the rest into the tank compartment!

There's two 1-way valves in your water system. One is at the "city" water connection which is on the outside of your trailer. The valve itself is internal. It will allow city water to open the valve and let water in. It closes when there's no city water attached and the pressure on the internal system is coming from the pump.

There's another 1-way valve on your water pump. It does the opposite. It keeps city water from entering your water tank, BUT, when the pump is activated, it will push water from your tank into your water system.

As a suggestion, I would HIGHLY recommend you have someone inside the trailer watching and start adding water to the tank again. I promise you, it wont take long to find the leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca3 View Post
2012 Scamp 16, side dinette

In preparation for a road trip far (2.5 months) I have only been stationary, I thought I'd sanitize my fresh water tank. I have never used it - have owned trailer since late April... Don't know when it was last used, if ever.

I started adding water, only to find that it was streaming out the front door... I had flooded my Scamp! I've been drying it out overnight...

I reviewed the manual but could not find any information about steps to take when switching over from city water to the fresh water tank. Is there anything that has to be done?

After I cleaned up the "flood," it appeared that there was about 4 or so inches of water in the in the tank (but it was difficult for me to see the water line so I'm not sure). I did find a drain valve and drained the remaining water. I did flip the pump switch and the pump does fire, although it did not seem to pump water (I did try it when I thought I was the 4 inches of water in the tank). I don't think the pump would have anything to do with a leak? I hesitate to try it again until I have a place to put my gear (outside the trailer). I suppose I could try pouring a small amount of water in to see whether there is a leak...

Any suggestions? As always, I truly appreciate your help.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ditto on the water filler port and connecting tube to the tank.
We had a broken tube also.
You need to remove the bench top to get at it, but even then it is a job for a contortionist.
Drill out the rivits that hold the filler port and remove it.
Try a local RV store for the parts, or call Scamp
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Had not checked the tank prior to starting to add water (adding via the fill cap at the back of the trailer). City water functions fine.

It appears my bench is attached with Phillips screws and caulk all around - will investigate further when I get home to the RV tonight. Is there anything else to do/think about with this disassembly? I will definitely troubleshoot leak with another person first, if I can.
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote