Using the scamp in the winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
So I have another winter time Scamping question, about chains. Actually two questions.

1. I have an all-wheel drive Highlander for a tow vehicle. In conditions requiring chains, does one put them on the back tires, or the front tires? Seriously. The guy at Les Schwab told me that the conventional wisdom is to put them on the front, since those are the steering tires, but said he puts them on the back, to help keep the back of the car from catching up with him in a mishap. So what do you guys think, especially for towing?

2. My Scamp has electric brakes. Does that mean I ought to put chains on the Scamp, to facilitate stopping?

Any remarks?

cg

Check with Washington chain laws about the trailer. In Oregon if chains or traction devices are require and you're towing chains are required on the tow vehicle. If the trailer is equipped with breaks then it too must have chains.
As to which axle, chain laws might determine that, if not check your owners manual about chains.

Or you could do what I do, I carry chains for both the truck and the trailer, but watch the weather and only head into snow country when there's not much of a chance of new snow.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
So I have another winter time Scamping question, about chains. Actually two questions.

1. I have an all-wheel drive Highlander for a tow vehicle. In conditions requiring chains, does one put them on the back tires, or the front tires? Seriously. The guy at Les Schwab told me that the conventional wisdom is to put them on the front, since those are the steering tires, but said he puts them on the back, to help keep the back of the car from catching up with him in a mishap. So what do you guys think, especially for towing?
cg
Read your cars manual and put the chains on what ever axle it says to & what type of chains to use. ;- ) You may find that your vehicle is like two of mine and there is only one axle that the chains will actually fit & only cable type chains are to be used. On my full time all wheel dive Subaru for example cable chains will only fit on the front.

Edit to add: if you are seriously going to decide to travel over mountain passes in winter I would seriously think about putting REAL snow tires on the car - they have a snow flake on them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp