Vehicle overheating while hauling Scamp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Vehicle overheating while hauling Scamp.

We tried to haul our 16 ft. Scamp with our 3.3 liter engine Dodge Grand Caravan. We made it about 30 miles going up and down hills before we had to return home. The Caravan was overheating so badly we had to pull over about 10 times before we could make it home. Any idea what the problem is?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #2

Hi Patricia
Have you pulled this rv before or is this first time out?

Old 06-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #3

Towing

What year is your vehicle, and how many miles are on it? What gear were you towing in?

BillH
Fiver is a Scamp
:sunny S.E. Colorado

Old 06-17-2003, 05:03 AM   #4

Hi!

There is many "variables" here, one of them being that you were pulling a trailer.

I pull my trailer with a Dodge Caravan 96, 3 litres, 300k Km on the odometer, no special towing group. Up to date, I had no problem.

The only time I had problem with overheating, not even pulling something, was once because my water pump was broken and one other time, with my Dodge Caravan 87, driving in extreme weather, south-west of USA, in Arizona.

While I can't help you to find what is the problem, here is a little tip to help reduce the motor temperature in case of overheating:

Stop the air conditionner, open the windows put the heater and the heater fan to the maximum and enjoy! If there is coolant in the system and if the water pump is working you will cook like a chicken but the temperature should drop a little, maybe enough to bring you to a safe place.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:18 AM   #5

For one year we had a 17' tandem wheel stick built trailer. Weighed in just under 2400lbs loaded. Our 4 l Aerostar van would overheat each time we towed it. It never actually got hot enough that we had to pull over though. It was the transmission overheating. Put a trany cooler on and no more problems.

Also never tow in OD. The constant locking and unlocking of the torque converter will make it heat up and burn out.
Nancy

Old 06-17-2003, 06:14 AM   #6

Radiator?

Something to consider, if your tow rig is older. Generally speaking, the life expectancy of a vehicle's radiator is around 10 years. At about 10 years it may not leak, but can be badly plugged. Removing a radiator isn't hard. Think about pulling it out and taking it to a radiator shop. They can "rod" out the core, and if they don't punch a whole through a wall, it should give you more years of service. However, the cost to have a radiator worked on can be comparable to a new one. AND, add an electric fan to the backside. It helps to pull air through the radiator at slower speeds. Lastly, make certain the vehicle's coolant is fresh and at the correct mixture for your temperature zone. Also a new temperature gauge is a good idea. Transmission cooler is a good idea too.

Doing this type of mechanical work on your tow rig is simple. Nearly any home garage mechanic can do it. I have!:hap2

Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #7

I have heard of problems with Dodge Caravans, where the fins on the water pump impeller actually disolve as the antifreeze ages. I've not actually seen it, but a mechanic friend told me that he's removed water pumps on these vehicles where the impeller is basically gone. Don't know how wide-spread this is, but it's a possibility, I guess.

Tags
scamp