Velcro and awnings. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Please tell me if this is just unrealistic.
I would like to attach an awning to our Burro 13 without drilling through the FG.
Maybe after we have the Burro for a few years I will be more at ease with Mods that involve holes in the FG, however, until then I was just wondering....... If I could 3M tape a heavy duty wide faced industrial Velcro to the Burro top and Awning material edge, would that suffice as a usable (albeit removable) awning? Your thoughts and advice are truly appreciated.

Rozanne
Rozanne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
I would like to attach an awning to our Burro 13 without drilling through the FG.
Rozanne,

We're sort of in the same position with our Scamp....not quite ready to attach an awning rail to it yet. After seeing a homebrew awning at a spring eggscursion, my wife and I decided to try something similar. The picture shows our first attempt, which worked surprisingly well. The cheapo tarp came from Lowes, and the (too short) poles were already here from another tent. I'm ordering new telescopic Eureka poles from Campmor and will probably sew up something nicer looking from real awning fabric. After cutting all the ropes to length, I have them pre-tied with loops in place so it's really easy to put up. We'll probably end up with a real bag awning and awning rail at some point, but this is too easy not to try for a few outings first. I admit it looks like a real lash-up right now, but with proper length poles and real awning fabric, I think it will be much more presentable. I should add that the little screen room just sits underneath. It's one of those take it out of the bag and stand back while it springs into shape types. Works great.

Parker
Attached Thumbnails
P1000311.JPG  
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I think that the awning rail is designed the way it is because you need something strong to withstand the wind forces on the effectively a sail you've just attached to the side of your trailer. I've had a lot of velcro items come apart, not from the velcro itself, but from the adhesives used to attach the velcro to the two items you want to velcro together...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Parker, that looks like a simple and effective awning solution.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #5

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
Parker, that looks like a simple and effective awning solution.
Connie,

The initial setup in the picture is with three poles, the center one six feet and the corner ones five feet. I had them laying around the garage so I tried them. I've ordered new poles, which should get rid of the droopy sides. The one I copied from with equal length poles looked better. I like the fact the the tarp/awning goes up onto the roof so rain water won't come down between it and the trailer. And if the whole thing blows away in a storm, it won't be hard to replace and should cause minimal damage to the trailer.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Parker... I really like the cover on the "Tow Vehicle". It is so nice to get on one thats dry!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Velcro works well if it's clean. I can see it losing the ability to hang on to the tarp, when the loops or fuzz get contaminated with dust and twings. Anyone besides me ever take a toothpick to your kids athletic shoes? I'm wondering about the UVA/UBC damage too. You might get it really glued to the trailer, then have it deteriorate rapidly due to sun damage. Then you've got a mess to cleanup.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
Quote:
Velcro works well if it's clean. I can see it losing the ability to hang on to the tarp, when the loops or fuzz get contaminated with dust and twings. Anyone besides me ever take a toothpick to your kids athletic shoes? I'm wondering about the UVA/UBC damage too. You might get it really glued to the trailer, then have it deteriorate rapidly due to sun damage. Then you've got a mess to cleanup.
good point Donna.
also should use the fuzzy side (loop) on the camper if you go this route. if it's really cold, the hooks will also break off the other side. I think the aluminum channel is the best way to go. be sure to use the rolled caulking (grey stuff).
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
People of the awning group..listen I have been down this road before this is what I did just a suggestion.go to your local RV dealer they should have in stock a rail or guide or slot thingy call it waht you want but it screws to your camper above the door and window of course and what you do is get your awning at any boat canvas shop and have a rope sewn into the end of the canvas. All you have to do then is slide it in the "slot" that is attached to your camper get 2 telescopic tents poles from the camping section in your local Wal-mart I think that they are 7 dollars each and wala. when you take down your canapoy all you are left with is the attached slot thingy and no wind resistance. I have it on my 13 Boler and I made sure that when you put the screws throught the camper shell make sure that you have clear silicon with rubber backed fender washers. what I did then because I am anal about leaks is I put a bead of clear silicon around the washer to ensure no leaks.....any questions reply back tomorrow I will have pictures of the "thingy" and washers...Joe

Quote:
good point Donna.
also should use the fuzzy side (loop) on the camper if you go this route. if it's really cold, the hooks will also break off the other side. I think the aluminum channel is the best way to go. be sure to use the rolled caulking (grey stuff).
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Thanks for the opinions. I think I will abandon my velcro idea for awning attachment. I will probably go with a rail type system and slide in awning. Friends of ours have an '80s vintage Scotty and the rail system seems to work quite well. I will have to make a stop to an RV center in the near future. We seem to be inundated with rain these days, a good time to plan a mod or two.

Rozanne
Rozanne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Consider a screen house. When we had our 13' Burro (and also with our current UHaul), we put up a screen house next to the trailer. Worked as an awning, additional living space, and kept down the bugs. Get one high enough that the door will open into it and one with zippers on two sides. Put it as close to the trailer as possible. It keeps down the bugs.
Both screen houses come from Walmart, however, the first one went down in a storm. The second one is built better and has survived several winds.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Screen_1.jpg   Screen_2.jpg  

Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Consider a screen house. When we had our 13' Burro (and also with our current UHaul), we put up a screen house next to the trailer. Worked as an awning, additional living space, and kept down the bugs. Get one high enough that the door will open into it and one with zippers on two sides. Put it as close to the trailer as possible. It keeps down the bugs.
Both screen houses come from Walmart, however, the first one went down in a storm. The second one is built better and has survived several winds.

CindyL
you could even go to the next level and have a cord sewn into one of the flaps. that way it will keep things dry between the egg and the shelter if you attach a channel to your trailer. the 1/4 inch rope works fine but won't last as long as the extruded plastic one that you can get sewn in at most auto upholstery places... they can also supply and likely install the metal channel for you too. FYI, I paid $8 for an 8 foot section.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
I too didn't want to put holes in the camper so I bought this thing from the bus depot online. It attaches with the suction cup mounting kit.

Karen K.
Attached Thumbnails
newawning.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Quote:
I too didn't want to put holes in the camper so I bought this thing from the bus depot online. It attaches with the suction cup mounting kit.
Karen K.
Karen,

Wow, this looks great for us as well. What are the dimentions of this bus depot awning? I didn't see it listed on their website.
Rob Carmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
that does look good. a very simple answer as well.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
I believe it is 8 X 8.

Karen K.
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
Quote:
People of the awning group..listen I have been down this road before this is what I did just a suggestion.go to your local RV dealer they should have in stock a rail or guide or slot thingy call it waht you want but it screws to your camper above the door and window of course and what you do is get your awning at any boat canvas shop and have a rope sewn into the end of the canvas. All you have to do then is slide it in the "slot" that is attached to your camper get 2 telescopic tents poles from the camping section in your local Wal-mart I think that they are 7 dollars each and wala. when you take down your canapoy all you are left with is the attached slot thingy and no wind resistance. I have it on my 13 Boler and I made sure that when you put the screws throught the camper shell make sure that you have clear silicon with rubber backed fender washers. what I did then because I am anal about leaks is I put a bead of clear silicon around the washer to ensure no leaks.....any questions reply back tomorrow I will have pictures of the "thingy" and washers...Joe

Just wondering if you have any photos? we to have a 13 ft boler and are trying to think of something for the awning. I know i've seen other posts somewhere.. when they used a tarp folded over a rope and pulled it thru the track. This could also work in a pinch.

thanks
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote