Vent Shades - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thumbs up

I had this hair-brained notion that installing vent shades as eye-brows over the windows on my Scamp, might dress it up and help divert water run-off around the windows, minimizing the opportunity for leaks. Vent shades are those acrylic plastic inverted gutters that people install over their car wind-up windows such that the window can be cracked open and still get air through but minimizes the rain/water getting in.

The problem is, I haven't found any place to buy generic or universal fit vent shades ... you know, straight ones in sizes by inches. They only seem to come by make and model of car or truck and then two of the four in a set are curved to fit the front door windows on a specific model. I'd like to buy 3 or 4 straight ones about 18" long.

Probably just wishful thinking but has anyone else tried this? Any idea where they might be had?
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
My 73 has an aluminum "vent shade" over the entrance door. I'm sure it came with the trailer and not an add on. I bet you could find them through rv supply stores or dealers. Just a thought.
Darrel
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I googled "sunroof + wind deflector" and lots came up. They don't have the curved vehicle window shape. Seem to come in sizes from 32 to 42 inches in length.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I can see the appeal to these Vent Shades. No drill = no leak. The aluminum vent shade/gutter that came on our 88-16 Scamp could be installed without rivets. 3M makes an extremely strong double sided adhesive tape. This is the same product that Auto Vent Shade uses on their after-market product. If the aluminum isn't what you want, how about finding out the make and model that would give you the longest shade. Cut the shade at the bend and then trim and shape to fit. Most of the poly-vent shades can be shaped cleanly with a low speed rotary tool and a sanding drum, or even a fine file.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're interested in something more durable than aluminum and something that doesn't stick out as far as a vent shade.. maybe you'd be interested in gutter material made for RVs, you cut and shape to whatever size needed. Several members of FiberglassRV have used it with great success.

EZE RV Gutters
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
GO-RV.com has them listed as "aluminum drip caps" under their trim and moulding section in sizes from 13 inch to 73 inch in length. I'm sure other rv supply sources would have them also.

Hope that helps.

Darrel
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thanks All,

You've provided a few leads and some good ideas to explore. Sometimes just figuring out what things are called is the hardest part. Between vent-shade, wind-deflector, and drip-cap, I should be able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,

Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I've seen a sunroof wind deflector that would work too... and it was a peal-n-stick application too. I hate drilling holes in my egg.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote