Ventura Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Nomad
Ontario
Ventura Help

We are scheduled to pick up a 1974 Ventura this weekend (Finally) but since she is 5 hours away I've only seen pictures (interior original and complete, some water marks on the ceiling) oh and not to mention a custom (lol) paint job of cammo green and yellow graffiti. I've just noticed the door looks like it has a lot of water damage around the bottom (looks fat). Is this a serious issue and hard to fix? I've photos on my phone and will try and upload later. Trailer is $350 so it is worth a shot regardless of door issue?
LeslieKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
the door will be toast with water rot from water getting in from the window. You may find one on a slide in truck camper. I built a new one from a wooden interior house door skinned with formica and put in a round porthole window. I think I would try to find a proper door if I were to do it again. BTW if the lock is in good shape , it will probably sell for about $200 on ebay, its a Bargmann l400 so there is half the cost of the trailer. The nice thing about the Ventura is that it has flat walls so makes the interior work fairly easy but it does have weak roof formers that break due to snow load and the roof will sag causing leaks. Also check for cracks above the rear window as there have been a few reported here that go right through (including my old one). The top and bottom halves are NOT fiberglassed together and may be leaking so add that to the list.

There are a few here that are going through rebuilds this year with lots of pictures!

They are a fairly hard tow as the have a flat high front end and cause a lot of drag at highway speed compared to say a boler, but they also have a stronger frame and brakes(if they are working)
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Nomad
Ontario
David! Thank you so much for the information! I've posted some pics in my album if you want to see the gem we are looking to rebuild. She is something!
LeslieKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If they look like that out here they usually say "GO ESKS". Yes I live in Edmonton.

Take a deep breath and access the needs and wants before tearing into it. Get it water tight first, reseal the windows with butyl tape, (DO NOT USE SILICON SEALER) see if you can strip the paint or paint over it. Check below the floor under the rear benches and fridge as they have been know to trap water in the bottom tub especially behind the wheels. If you have an awning rail on the top of the roof , check for leaks from the screws. Mine also had a bolt through the roof holding the upper cabinet in place that was leaking. Of course, check the vent.

Winter is coming so make up a brace for the roof (2x4 tee wedge to the floor) to support for snow load. Hate to come out in the spring to a broken roof.

all ventura threads
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
The window frame in the Ventura door directs water inside the door cavity so that's why they rot.

Select a new (non-opening) window and prepare to rebuild a door using the original as a template.

I rebuilt the door all from scratch, except I reused the Bargman lock and the aluminum flanges. First step was to build a core with a finished panel towards the interior. The cosmetics of the outside panel didn't matter because that was skinned over with powder coated sheet metal.

A residential interior door isn't ideal because the standard thickness is 1-3/8". The Ventura door is thinner, 1-1/8" to the best of my recollection. Anyhow, the door won't close properly if you're new door thickness doesn't match the original.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if anybody has had luck using chemical stripper to remove PO paint jobs. 3M had/has a non-toxic stripper that might work, but you have to give it a long time to soften the finish.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura