Vin # is wrong on title - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: joe
Trailer: forest river
New York
Vin # is wrong on title

I just bought a 2005 5th wheel in june from private not dealer. Four months later went to order a part for it and vin # on title did not work so I searched around RV found vin # on 5th wheel is not the same as title not even close,3rd owner with wrong vin DMV not sure what to do. Any one ever heard of this. There was some smoke damage we found when cleaning wonderd if it could be a rebuilt title.

Thanks Joe
joewilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Does the seller have any explanation or comment ? Could be an honest mistake or a scam.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
First I would figure out what you have on hand by using the Scamp VIN Decoder. Scamp VIN decoding
A 2005 Scamp should have the VIN in two places. One place is on a white label on the tongue that usually can be damaged. The other place is it should be stamped in the metal frame on the tongue. DMV should be able to back track the VIN's/titles or at least they can in my state. As stated earlier mistakes are sometimes made in reading the numbers DMV should be able to verify and correct that. DMV should also be able to track VIN of the trailer you have. I don't think Scamp will not be able to help if the VIN's are before the 2006 fire.
I would take the issue to DMV and let them investigate the issue. In my state if everything comes up to a dead end on the trailer VIN you actually have, you can go through DMV procedures to get a clear title as an abandoned trailer.
Anyway you go DMV should get involved and help sort this out unless you find the stamped VIN on your trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Eddie, I think he has a Forest River 5er, that's what he's got listed. A NY salvage title will have bold type across the top of it saying "REBUILT SALVAGE", and the VIN's would match because it would have to be inspected to get a new title. Sounds more like someone had a trailer without clear title, and found a close match somewhere. The actual VIN can be researched, hope it doesn't show up as stolen. Don't know if services like carfax do RV's, be worth a try if they do.

Something smells, that's for sure. You didn't check the VIN when you bought the RV? Have you contacted the person you bought it from? Think it's gonna be a mess no matter what you do. Best of luck.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I bought a trailer three years ago. We caught a DMV mistake that went 3 owners before us. They missed one number on the title. The title did not match the SN plate on the trailer. The previous owner had to go back to his PO to get it fixed. It took 2 months to get the title with the correct number on it. When buying we always check numbers.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, vin