VIN problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
VIN problem

A little help on finding it?!?!?

Door side, on tongue rail I thought was the location.... I see no remnants of it at all. Even took off the dual propane tank holder thinking it was under it. Nothing.

Any clue where else it might be on an '85 scamp?????
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Ohio
Where on here would be the best place to start scraping paint to try and find it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401807551.598681.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	71909

I called scamp, this is where they said to look ... But he also said if its old and worn to re-stamp it (or engrave) it yourself.... Has anyone ever done this? Seem like an okay idea???

... Did all this work, now I have to register it and can't find this number....
Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Ohio
Found some info online... But not my number yet... Gotta remove some paint before I panic more
Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmmm.

It looks like the tongue section has been replaced, I can see weld lines on both sides of the tongue, your VIN might be long gone..... Hope that the previous owner is within reach.

At least in California, if you have sufficient paperwork, the DMV will issue a new VIN on a metal sticker.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmmm.

It looks like the tongue section has been replaced, I can see weld lines on both sides of the tongue, your VIN might be long gone..... Hope that the previous owner is within reach.

At least in California, if you have sufficient paperwork, the DMV will issue a new VIN on a metal sticker.
Definitely a tongue/coupler replacement- section with original VIN is g-o-n-e GONE.

Should be no problem getting number reissued in most any State, since it's on the paperwork the O.P. got with the trailer.

You did make sure to get the necessary paperwork with the trailer, right, O.P.?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Ohio
I have the michigan title with vin, trying to get it titled here in ohio.

So scraping off the paint on top of the rail would be a waste of time you say huh?..... Had no idea the coupler was replaced?!?! Hmmm. Must have been done long ago cause that baby has some age on it.

The original scamp sticker on the inside of the A frame is still there it ... Sort of...but the bottom part of the sticker where the VIN was is not - of course

Would it be kosher in the eyes of the bmv inspector if I engraved the VIN myself?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Hmmmm... You would have to ask a Rabbi about your last question.

But an out of state title will always raise eyebrows here in California and will get much closer scrutiny. Add to that a missing VIN...... I really think that they would be able to recognize a freshly stamped VIM. How long ago did you buy the trailer?

Sounds like you have questions for your BMV peeps that can't really be answered here.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
I have the michigan title with vin, trying to get it titled here in ohio.

So scraping off the paint on top of the rail would be a waste of time you say huh?..... Had no idea the coupler was replaced?!?! Hmmm. Must have been done long ago cause that baby has some age on it.

The original scamp sticker on the inside of the A frame is still there it ... Sort of...but the bottom part of the sticker where the VIN was is not - of course

Would it be kosher in the eyes of the bmv inspector if I engraved the VIN myself?
That last is a tough one...there are many here who've done that. One can even buy little replacement VIN tags for the purpose. I myself am a lit-tle too paranoid to attempt such a thing. I'd probably just throw myself on his mercy, showing him the replacement coupler etc. All they really care about is determining that it's not stolen/hot. I think it's pretty clear that this one isn't.

BUT- if you're more adventurous than I am-

Since you do have the Title from another State and the tongue has obviously been rewelded resulting in destruction of the originally stamped number I think restamping is a reasonable thing to do. I'd use a stamp rather than an engraving tool, though. And if asked, just own up- it's not like someone "scrubbed" the VIN off.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Would be a whole lot easier to register without a VIN if:

a) It didn't have an out of state title
b) That the registration was current
c) That no more than about 30 days had elapsed since purchase.

You may want to consider a return trip to MI, get a title and registration in your name, with a new VIN plate from MI, then then return to OH.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I never found the VIN on the frame of my 1988 Scamp and it shows signs of repair if not replacement also. It was an in-state transfer and nobody (but me) cared. I have a clear title and registration in my name so it should not be a problem for some time yet. I suppose I could go ahead and stamp the VIN back on the frame and figure that by the time I sell it will be weathered enough to "pass".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
After dealing with a missing vin sticker on another trailer that was owned for 16 years, just going to a new state, I learned a valuable lesson.

I tried to do the right thing and ask about the missing vin. It ended up with a 7 week wait, the state requesting documentation from the trailer dealer, and the manufacturer, etc.

After all that, they haphazardly stamped the vin on the frame.

My point? If it was me, since I had just replaced the coupler...I would get a stamp set and put the vin back on so it wouldn't be forgotten later...of course, that tongue work would require a clean cost of paint...
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Ohio
😉👍.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #13

Ohio
Well I found it. Problem is a PO dropped his weld bead on half of the numbers?!?!?
Holding the title next to the half numbers you can definitely see that they match ( but without the title as reference you would not make out the numbers very clearly.
Focus in on the bead on the bottom in the pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401826470.343953.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	71919

Satisfy Mr. Inspection Guy????
Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Is that inside the passenger side rail? I don't think I thought to look there. I will have to do that when I get home.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #15

Ohio
It is towards the middle of the a frame on passenger side right on the edge
Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #16

Let us know what the BMV sez about the whole thing.....

Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

Ohio
Definitely will. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #18

Ohio
So I explain the situation with the weld and the VIN and the kid doing the inspection thanks ME for going through the trouble of scraping off the paint and finding it so he didn't have to. Then says "I'll just copy it off the old title."

Done. Carmen is officially an Ohioan.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #19

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When I went to register mine(in CA), some of the vin numbers were not legible. The inspector told me to drive down to Harbor Freight, get a stamp set and a mallet, stamp the numbers back on(but not in the DMV parking lot) and come back. I did, and had no problem-even though I had another inspector when I got back.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #20

Ohio
That was definitely plan B.

Tags
vin