Vin Title problem - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Angry Vin Title problem

We bought a 1987 16" ft Scamp in Spokane, WA. We remodeled and upgraded it and sold it to someone from CA. When they went to register it in CA, the DMV and the CHP both indicated that the Vin number was incorrect and threatened to seize it and have it crushed. The number was fine in WA and OR, but not in CA. I talked with the CHP inspector and he tells me that the number is a made up number because the Year code is not in the 10 spot in the Vin number. He also said that it is a 2001 because there is a 1 in the 10 spot. . NOT!!! I looked up the vin numbers of other Scamps we had remodeled and all have been in the 80's and all have the same order with the year letter in the 11th position. We ran the vin number check they all come in invalid, but, we have never had a problem before. Did Scamp have a different vin number system in the 80's? I have to get an answer soon because this CHP cop is convinced we are tryiing to pull a fast one and that is certainly NOT true. It is very frustrating and the people we sold it to are anxious to get clear title on it. It originally came from Idaho from the Navy base there, but, has had at least 2 or 3 owners since that time. Any information you can supply us would be greatly appreciated.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 86 scamp 13
California
I had the same issue as you have. I got my scamp from some guys back yard that it had been sitting in for more than a decade. It did not have any Vin number or any markings on the frame when I bought it. I took it to the dmv and they gave me a new vin number and a sticker to attach to the frame. Very simple process. I had to explain the situation and I had a bill of sale from the previous owner since there was no title. They did not seem to care much.

I went to a local DMV and didn’t bother with CHP since that wasn’t needed.
Mcat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post262012

Scamp VIN decoding

I ran into the same issue, read the entire thread from the first link I provided. There's a copy of my title in the thread too.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Early scamps have the serial number stamped on the fame by the swing jack right on the top outside passengers side of the frame. Does your paperwork match thoes numbers?

If it was a military trailer they are titled under the service process and titled by their paperwork they have their own documatation and usualy get civilian reregrestation paperwork and a new serial number on a metallic sticker. When they leave military control. Very common sticker used for registration issues like reconstruction or self builts. Every state has its own quirks and unfortunately california is the hardest state to work with.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Massachusetts
Donna,

404 De pagina is niet gevonden for explanation

This is not a good site. When you click on the http it takes you to site shown below.

See 404 De pagina is niet gevonden for explanation
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Donna,

404 De pagina is niet gevonden for explanation

This is not a good site. When you click on the http it takes you to site shown below.

See 404 De pagina is niet gevonden for explanation
Nothing I can do about links within links....

Checking the Wayback Machine, this is what comes up. Not sure if it has any value since we KNOW Scamp used an I (eye), it's in the Title in the 10th position for my 1988 Scamp: https://web.archive.org/web/20070222.../checkdig.html
Old 08-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Nothing I can do about links within links....

Checking the Wayback Machine, this is what comes up. Not sure if it has any value since we KNOW Scamp used an I (eye), it's in the Title in the 10th position for my 1988 Scamp: https://web.archive.org/web/20070222.../checkdig.html

This is the vin number for the Scamp that is causing all of the trouble. Note that the Year digit us in the 11th position. H=1987 which is correct. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6148.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	137039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6020.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	137040
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #8

Oregon
Doing a quick search of the membership, there are 440 Scamp owners in California. However, I've only found one that owns a 1987. That's not to say there aren't a bunch more. Perhaps you can reach out to stevebaz for information on how he was able to get a valid title in California.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...baz-34954.html
Old 08-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Massachusetts
OK Donna,

That new page on Vin # Check digit system worked out fine. I was able to verify the vin number on our 2018 Scamp by using the Check Digit.

Thank you.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #10

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Donna's link worked fine for me:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post262012

By the way, when I bought my used 1975 Scamp 13 from a local dealer, the dealer screwed up the paperwork saying it was a 1995. I went back to the dealer with photos of the VIN on the trailer, and a screenshot of Scamp's VIN information. and had them fix the paperwork and submit it to the DMV. It came back with the wrong VIN on the paperwork (it started with F instead of E), so I went to the DMV and had a pleasant conversation with them and they had me bring in the trailer for a VIN verification, and I got a corrected title.

It pays to check the paperwork carefully because people can be sloppy. If I hadn't noticed the paperwork calling my trailer a 1995 I sure would have had problems down the road when it came time to sell it. Sometimes being OCD is a good thing.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #11

Name: DANIEL
Trailer: Trillium
GOODYEAR
I used a third party to title my 1974 Scamp in California. It had previously been titled in Oklahoma and the prior owner didn't sign the title correctly, and I bought it from another owner who hadn't titled it in their name. I avoided the hassle and had a title for a little less than $200.
Dbasdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, vin