Wall carpet for Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Vickie
Trailer: Compact Jr.
Missouri
Wink Wall carpet for Compact Jr

Hello! We are restoring a ‘71 Compact Jr. We were ready to paint our inside walls, and noticed other fiberglass RV’s have insulated carpet on the walls. Our’s has none. So either it never had carpet, or the previous owner took it out. Question is: Has anyone done this project that could give us some advice or do you know someone in the Missouri or Kansas area that could do this for us? Also, has anyone been successful without it? We will be towing this behind our street rod to shows, so won’t be staying in it a lot, but don’t want to have major issues with condensation, etc. down the road. Thanks for any help you could give us!
Vickie and Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
The carpet offers a little insulation and mainly serves to prevent condensation on the walls in cool/cold weather. I would want it there.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have a Campstrr with bare walls. They are OK. But in damp NW weather, the condensation is a killer. It depends on the type of camping you plan to do.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp uses a layer of foil bubble wrap (Reflectix is commonly sold at hardware and big box stores) with carpet-like marine headliner on top (available online or through a marine supply store In a range of neutral colors).

Both are fairly easy to work with and can be applied using an automotive headliner adhesive.

Actual insulating value isn’t much, but it works well in practice for 3-season use. Does not absorb water or odors, does not form condensation, and feels soft and warm when you brush against it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Compact Jr insulation

All the photos i have seen of the original insulation show a quilted vinyl.

I assume it has some kind of thin batting on the underside.

It looks like the quilted vinyl you would have seen in a 1960's automobile.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote