Walmart experiences? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
If I could figure out how to house my main Dell workstation, 4 external networked RAID file and BU servers and an on-board very high speed broadband Internet in the Scamp we likely could try it.
Perhaps that word "Retirement" needs to be part of my lexicon and not "under employed" with the bat conservation research.
We are on a two to three-year trajectory to retirement here. I run a home office with a few computers, multiple monitors, network gear, and a bulky 200-lb workgroup 11x17 multi-function printer-scanner-copier.

I have been looking forward to downsizing to tablets and phones when I am no longer running a business churning out spreadsheets, documents and drawings.

However, the other day I found myself looking at the MFP and before I could stop myself, I found myself wondering "How will I scan documents when we are trailering?".

I'm looking forward to learning how I just might be able to live without it.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I am a bit confused about your Stay Anywhere App, I searched for it and find nothing. Did you perhaps mean AllStays Camp and RV? This is an excellent app for finding campsites and overnight parking on the fly. I would recommend the pennies it cost.

Using this app I have stayed at numerous Walmarts and Cabelas, I have stayed away from truck stops and rest areas due to noise, but they are all listed. I have about 20 nights in Walmart lots, unfortunately they are being used by more and more truckers, resulting in more noise. Calling ahead can save you some anguish, the above app provides all the necessary phone numbers and it does show you which allow overnight parking. With your dates it maybe more important to call, in the summer months we will often find other RV's parked and snuggle up with them, sparing the phone call. It is so easy to call, why not do it?

On your route I have used the Walmart in Clarksville, IN and Shelbyville, KY. Both were acceptable. The app really helps because it contains comments of others who have stayed there. Nice to read their comments. All KOA's, local campgrounds, state and federal facilities are listed. The nice thing is it is always getting updated so the chances of having an outdated publication is rare. No, I do not work for AllStays but I sure like their app.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #23

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Yes Paul it is the AllStays program I was referring to.

Good catch.
Perhaps I need to retire before my mind leaves me completely.

Simply typed the "function" on the fly w/o checking it.
Bad science Bat Dude.

Go to your roost cave and I mean NOW.
Do not come out again until you are accurate and sure of yourself.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post

It is so easy to call, why not do it?
I guess one answer would be that it is a parking lot and we never fail to shop there when we stop and we never call ahead for parking when we go shopping without the trailer.

Yesterday I met my wife at Walmart to do some shopping, we took two parking spots in the busiest part of week (Sunday afternoon) without asking.

When we overnight, it is from late night to early morning when the lot is nearly empty. We still shop and we still only take two spots , far away from the door.

Our entire rig (truck and trailer) is less of a burden on the parking lot than a 7000 pound fullsized dually pickup used to take a 110 pound woman to the store to buy a 1 pound loaf of bread!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #25

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Well DW (also a data/science person) sent this link to me to consider...

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

In any case since we will only have 1 night on the road w/o a campground before we are far enough south to find one open.

I think we will try the Wally World option.

Tnx again to all who posted suggestions and comments.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I guess one answer would be that it is a parking lot and we never fail to shop there when we stop and we never call ahead for parking when we go shopping without the trailer.

Yesterday I met my wife at Walmart to do some shopping, we took two parking spots in the busiest part of week (Sunday afternoon) without asking.

When we overnight, it is from late night to early morning when the lot is nearly empty. We still shop and we still only take two spots , far away from the door.

Our entire rig (truck and trailer) is less of a burden on the parking lot than a 7000 pound fullsized dually pickup used to take a 110 pound woman to the store to buy a 1 pound loaf of bread!
A lot of that seems to make sense, except..... Some places have ordinances against overnight parking in parking lots. Rather than getting rousted out of bed a 4:00am and told I have to move, asking is a lot easier and could save that rude awaking.

Also they are kind enough to let you sleep in their parking lot I can be kind enough to let them know I'm there by asking permission.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Open Campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi all,

As we head south from Michigan after the Turkey day it is clear that no campgrounds are open until we reach the Carolinas.

There is a KOA open along the route to Jekyll Island so that works.

However the thought of staying in some 2-bit hotel along the way where our Scamp could be subject to damage-break ins etc. makes me think even though winterized (no water) we would be better off dry camping at a Walmart.

They would have any snow cleared from the parking lots and we have a full propane tank so we would have power (12 v) and heat but just no water.

We have the Stay Anywhere app on the tablet and the Walmart RV guide so should not be difficult to find one when the driving exceeds daily driving energy.

Sound like a sound plan?

Bad Dude
In our case we come down the east coast of the United States and can stay in an open campground all the way south on our route from NJ to Florida regardless of the month. I suspect there are open campgrounds on your route as well. For example NJ has to private parks always open, Delaware has two state parks open year round as does Maryland, Virginia and NC.

We don't stay at Walmarts but many of our friends do, as well as Cracker Barrels with their RV spots are always good.

For us the only issue when leaving late is snow.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In our case we come down the east coast of the United States and can stay in an open campground all the way south on our route from NJ to Florida regardless of the month. I suspect there are open campgrounds on your route as well. For example NJ has to private parks always open, Delaware has two state parks open year round as does Maryland, Virginia and NC.

We don't stay at Walmarts but many of our friends do, as well as Cracker Barrels with their RV spots are always good.

For us the only issue when leaving late is snow.

Norm
Hi Norm,
Some people want to always stay in a campground and pay pay pay and did I say pay. Others will sleep a few hours in Rest Areas, Walmart parking lots, truck stops without paying. When we're traveling from point to point for more than a 1 day trip, I sleep 5 to 7 hours. Somehow it just doesn't set right to pay 40 to 60 dollars, somewhere closet to 10 dollars per hour to sleep for few hours.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Missed the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Hi Norm,
Some people want to always stay in a campground and pay pay pay and did I say pay. Others will sleep a few hours in Rest Areas, Walmart parking lots, truck stops without paying. When we're traveling from point to point for more than a 1 day trip, I sleep 5 to 7 hours. Somehow it just doesn't set right to pay 40 to 60 dollars, somewhere closet to 10 dollars per hour to sleep for few hours.
Batdude mentioned there were no campgrounds open indicating he was interested in open campgrounds. I was responding to that statement by stating their are open campgrounds.. I know all the alternatives but usually choose not to use them in negative weather situations.

I have never paid $50 or 60 to camp anywhere. Actually on our way South we're typically in Passport America parks or state parks, like in MD that offer half price camping to seniors. Though I'm not as frugal as you are we are careful, since we're often on the road over 300 days of the year.

Unlike many we never stay in a campground for only 6 hours to sleep. We typically only drive 4 hours a day so we're in the campground for 18-20 hours, or at least our trailer is while we explore the area.

We typically don't destination drive (trying to get some place); we enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I know we're crazy slow drivers that have taken 18 weeks to get from NH to Florida. The wild horses in Assateague, the beaches of Chesapeake bay, the Outer banks, the streets of Charleston, SC, are all part of our drift south. Honestly who cares if we spend a few dollars at Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC?

We just travel differently than many. We really don't spend a lot. In the last 15 years we've camped close to 4,000 wonderful nights spending from $5 to $30 (mostly in the $20 or less range).

There are many different camping styles. Many people pick a destination and make it the driven target, It's just not us. Probably part of the reason we don't typically travel with others. This makes us curious about the NL Caravan, our first trip with others.

I will say the NL Caravan has no days that are more than 150 miles, at least for the Caravan leaders.

Byron, please know I'm not opposed to your frugality, I respect it. It's not us, we're different. I was trying to help the OP.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Wal-Mart has a corporate policy to allow overnight RV parking, however, not only do some towns prohibit overnight parking in any parking lots, as many of the newer Wal-Marts are part of larger shopping centers, it is often the shopping center owners that prohibit overnight parking. 1. Always ask, it's the polite thing to do and, 2. If you come across a "No Overnight Parking" sign, ask anyway, many times the signs are there to comply with local ordinances, but they are not enforced.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #31

Name: Greg
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Two years ago we stopped for the night and the Meijer in Cincinatti Ohio let us park near the garden department and we were fine. In the morning we got up and went inside to use the restroom and buy a coffee and got back on the road! It was October, but we were plenty warm and didn't need water or the porta potty!
gbeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #32

Name: Greg
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Btw, we called the manager from the car to get his permission.
gbeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A lot of that seems to make sense, except..... Some places have ordinances against overnight parking in parking lots. Rather than getting rousted out of bed a 4:00am and told I have to move, asking is a lot easier and could save that rude awaking.

Also they are kind enough to let you sleep in their parking lot I can be kind enough to let them know I'm there by asking permission.
Never been "rousted". Never seen a place where it was prohibited and not posted.
As for kindness... I have written corporate to express my appreciation for their overnight policy and to RSVP the invitation.
You go ahead ask every time,nothing wrong in that. It might also be wise to encourage the policy by making corporate aware that you appreciate it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On the road with a winterized trailer water is not really an issue. I carry a couple of gallon jugs of water and a gallon of antifreeze. Use what water you need and chase it down the drain with antifreeze for the traps and holding tank. A spray container with water is the best way to rinse the toilet bowl. Wiping the inside the toilet bowl down with Rain-x before the trips helps keep the bowl cleaner and easier to rinse.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #35

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Speaking to the manager!!!

Hi: All... Our first stay at a Cracker Barrel, I asked the hostess if I could speak to the manager. She said "Stand over there and I'll call you a manager". When he approached I asked "Are you the manager"? Yes was his reply. I said "That's funny so am I". He looked puzzled so I explained what the hostess had said. We both laughed and he said "Of course you can stay!!! I'll get you a radio pack".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #36

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Alf---what is this radio pack the manager got for you????

oh...excuse me....Manager Alf, that is!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Batdude.

You didn't mention the routes you will taking but there's Mayberry Campground in Mt. Airy NC.
Home
Just inside NC off I-77 and they list $33.50 per night plus tax. We've stayed there a few times. Easy access, hot showers and full hookups including cable TV and wifi.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote