Want the shine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have read and used alot of the products suggested to clean the original top-coat of my 1980 13 Ft.Boler but I have yet found anything that will Keep the shine on.

When I find something that does shine ( A product containing a soap with a coconut oil in it) after a good buffing the next morning I awake to see more streaks and the dullness back . I have tried to put a wax on top of this shine but the shine is gone as soon as wax is buffed off of should I say stays in tiny cracks in top-coat.

I inquired about having it painted and that is out of the question at this time (no $$) All the hand scrubbing and buffing has taken off the chalky build up and color went from a dull white to a cream, but I want it to shine.

Please give me a name of a product that will give me and keep the shine on my Ladybug!!!! HELP!! MY ARMS ARE ABOUT TO FALL OFF
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gerry, I don't know what you've already tried, but I use Gel-Gloss with success. I started using it years ago on my sailboat.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gerry

Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax has worked well for me.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Gel-Gloss shined my 1970 Trails West with very little effort. It looks great. You can get at Home Depot in the plumbing dept.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We gave up - had it detailed ... they came to our house and now it shines.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I inquired about having it painted and that is out of the question at this time [b](no $$)
Quote:
We gave up - [b] had it detailed ... they came to our house and now it shines.
I priced out having mine detailed.
Cheaper than professional painting...
Still out of my budget.

So I use GelGloss and apply it myself...
Quote:
HELP!! MY ARMS ARE ABOUT TO FALL OFF
...and increase my Naproxen Sodium that day.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I priced out having mine detailed.
Cheaper than professional painting...
Still out of my budget.

So I use GelGloss and apply it myself...

...and increase my Naproxen Sodium that day.
In looking at the Gel-Gloss web page there is a number of products listed for marine/rv. Which one is the one to use?

I always use a generic brand of Naproxin.

Dave Engstrom
DDEngstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
In looking at the Gel-Gloss web page there is a number of products listed for marine/rv. Which one is the one to use?

I always use a generic brand of Naproxin.

Dave Engstrom

I use the cleaner/polish Gel-gloss sold in the plumbing dept. of Home Depot. It is for fiberglass, marble and acrylic. It also workd on other surfaces. It applies and wipes off very easily.
It works great on my fiberglass shower enclosure also.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #9

Quote:
I use the cleaner/polish Gel-gloss ...
John
Thanks for the responses but just maybe I am expecting too much or maybe your idea of shine is not the same as mine.
Again yesterday I re-washed the entire camper (for the 4th time) and got all the steaks off and then dried with clean cloth. I then applied the Gel-gloss (second time I have used this product) and followed instructions on can with little improvement to the shine.
I started to experiment and found the best results came if after letting the gel-glos dry to wipe off with a damp rag then again dry with clean cloth and this gave me about 50% satifaction in the shine.
I may have to give up also and start to save my pennies toward a paint job.
I have worn a ditch in the gravel from going around and around the camper so many times.
Gerry
Old 09-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks for the responses but just maybe I am expecting too much or maybe your idea of shine is not the same as mine.
Again yesterday I re-washed the entire camper (for the 4th time) and got all the steaks off and then dried with clean cloth. I then applied the Gel-gloss (second time I have used this product) and followed instructions on can with little improvement to the shine.
I started to experiment and found the best results came if after letting the gel-glos dry to wipe off with a damp rag then again dry with clean cloth and this gave me about 50% satifaction in the shine.
I have worn a ditch in the gravel from going around and around the camper so many times.
Gerry
Hi: The only difference between a rut and a grave are the dimentions Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #11
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Believe me, it will shine. Just keep at it. Don't try to do it all at once and don't expect it to shine after one or two coats. Although I posted it before, I think most of it was lost when the forum was hijacked. Just about anything will work IF you keep at it. Especially the first year or two. I really got teased in the beginning, but I don't mind. I only wax it about once a year now and the bugs just wash off after a trip. I do try and smear on a coat of wax on the front right before a trip. I have had more people than I can count tell me that they thought my trailer was new. Not those that know fiberglass trailers, of course ... just those that aren't familiar with them. IMHO, it doesn't look new to me. A brand new one has a surface shine that only new gel coat can achieve. However, mine has a deep patina shine that I just love.

My personal favs (both available at marine stores) are:

Polish (for cleaning and shining dull spots): Starbrite Marine Polish
Wax (for protecting): Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax

NOTE: I really do not recommend a product that does both. At least for long term endurance. Just my opinion.

I cannot begin to tell you how oxidized mine was when I got it. You couldn't touch it without getting chaulk on you. The top gelcoat is so thin in a few places, that I can actually see where it is starting to wear through. Yet, it still shines. When I got it, I really thought the only answer was to have it painted or new gel coat applied. I wasn't having much success in my search, so I started cleaning, polishing and waxing. The rest is history.

Lastly, if there is any way that you can have proper protection over it when not in use, it will go a long way in keeping it like you want once you get it there.

[b]Edit note: See these "Legacy Posts" on restoring the shine ("Old like New (almost)") and "Maintaining the shine".
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gerry, from the archives I found the topic: Gelcoat Rejuvinator. You may wish to read the entire topic. Seems several members recommend Vertglas. Looks like it may provide the shine you're looking for too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's a couple of pictures. The first one really doesn't show how badly it was oxidized, but you can get an idea. This was taken when I got the trailer in the Spring of 2002.

The second one was taken a couple of years ago ('04 ?) after I got I got a canopy over it. This picture was taken so I could show someone the cover and was not intended to accentuate the shine; yet even in the shade ...

NOTE: be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Attached Thumbnails
beforeoutsideedit.JPG   corralnewedit.JPG  

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #14

Trailer:
I have no experience with US fiberglass trailers, but I do have 30 years experience with fiberglass boats and the thing I can't understand is why nobody seems to polish the gel coat - I'm not talking about wiping wax onto it, but polishing the gel coat using a cutting compound, as a car body shop would do with car paint.

We never had any trouble doing this to wafer-thin racing boat gel coats: on a trailer with a normal commercial thickness of gel coat, I would expect to be able to do this at least three or four times. When finished, you get a gel coat that is like a new trailer fresh from the factory, unless you have scratches or nicks that do right through the gel coat.

Polishing is not light work and can only be done realistically using a proper geared electric polisher - they cost at least $400 here (but maybe $250 in US?), so it might be cheaper (and a lot easier) to pay a car body shop or a marina/boat workshop to do it with their polisher and their strong arms (the strong arms being needed to hold up the polisher).

Using wax afterwards is still sensible, just as it is on a new trailer.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Believe me, it will shine.
Suz Thanks for the advice and encouragement
I have read the link at Legacy and am thinking now if I got 50% results in 3 tries maybe in 3 more tries it will begin to bring out the inner shine.
It was good to see also that at one point you ran out of Starbright and went to a different product with no problem as I have heard that doin something like this without a good cleaning with soap and water may be a no-no or a waste of time .
I will go out today and get some Starbright polish with kerosene in it and some of that polish and keep at it.
Carple tunnel in both hands do not help my ambithions when no results are seen for so much effort but if any of you have seen my rewire job at
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...r%20re-wireing/
you can see that I do have that stick-to-it-ness as long as I can see results.
We are of to a camp rally with some Tin Canners but there are going to be some FGRV's there and even a Boler (a rearaty here in the States) and was hopeing for that shine before we go but it will have to wait and I may get a few more coats on before winter sets in
The wife is angry with me because I been messing with the gas lines and as of yet do not have the connection from my bottle to the regulator (which I moved back to it's original place on the shell) done yet.
I got a hose yesterday but it is about a foot too long and has males ends instead of female ends but I will get it all going before we leave tomorrow and who knows maybe another trip with polish & wax around and around again will give me another % or 2'
Gerry
Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I have no experience with US fiberglass trailers, but I do have 30 years experience with fiberglass boats and the thing I can't understand is why nobody seems to polish the gel coat - I'm not talking about wiping wax onto it, but polishing the gel coat using a cutting compound, as a car body shop would do with car paint.

We never had any trouble doing this to wafer-thin racing boat gel coats: on a trailer with a normal commercial thickness of gel coat, I would expect to be able to do this at least three or four times. When finished, you get a gel coat that is like a new trailer fresh from the factory, unless you have scratches or nicks that do right through the gel coat.

Polishing is not light work and can only be done realistically using a proper geared electric polisher - they cost at least $400 here (but maybe $250 in US?), so it might be cheaper (and a lot easier) to pay a car body shop or a marina/boat workshop to do it with their polisher and their strong arms (the strong arms being needed to hold up the polisher).

Using wax afterwards is still sensible, just as it is on a new trailer.

Andrew
Thank you for saying this Andrew

I got this video from the library and it looks easy enough. Basically it says wet sand with 320, 400, 500 then 600 grits followed by a gelcoat buffing compound. The video has an excellent section on colour matching as well as repairs. Seems that gelcoat does not change colour as it cures like paint.

I have not done this yet because I want to do the FG and gelcoat repairs (before & during my restoration). IMHO anyone that paints will be painting every 5 or so years. I really want to try to keep the body original.

BTW I seen a set of 4 DVD's on ebay for $50 USD, anyone care to split on the cost?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #17

Trailer:
Roy,

Wet sanding is a very serious step and I wouldn't recommend that unless major repairs have been carried out. The last place I worked we had to wet sand the boat hulls because they had been cured in an oven and the pattern of the first cloth layer would 'print through' to the surface, but we only ever started at 600 grit and then worked through 800, 1000 and 1200 before polishing. I suggest you try just polishing to see if the sanding is really needed and, if it is, try starting at a higher grade than 320 to see if paper that coarse is really needed.

Anyone who wants to see if polishing will work can try doing a small patch by hand. Purchase a 'rubbing compound' for paint at an auto parts store - sorry, I can't give any trade names as they aren't the same here! Beware of liquid compounds - these are often much finer paint finishing products - a paste rubbing compound is my preferred choice. This is not a wipe-on/wipe-off product - a 6" by 6" square is about as much as you can do at one time by hand and that will require maybe 1 to 2 minutes of rubbing. Polishing something the size of a trailer door can be done by hand, but will take maybe half a day to do.

3M compounds for boat gel coat polishing are very good products that work quicker than most, though of course you do have to pay the usual 3M premium.

And, Roy, I second your comments about painting fiberglass - to me, it is just like painting over varnished wood - something only to be done as a last resort.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 2002 13 ft Custom Deluxe and Fiber Stream 1984 16 ft

I've read several strong recommendations for PoliGlow, and will try it on our new 84 Fiberstream which has not been polished for many years and is very oxidized. Expensive--$60 on line for a kit including cleaner and the polish, but it is supposed to do a great job. Supposedly no rubbing or polishing once it is on. Hope it works.
Christa L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
PoliGlow looks good.

Just to give another product to take a look at, check out Sharkhide. Click on the Video. It is great on Aluminum & Fiberglass. My friend swears by it.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
I have read and used alot of the products suggested to clean the original top-coat of my 1980 13 Ft.Boler but I have yet found anything that will Keep the shine on.

When I find something that does shine ( A product containing a soap with a coconut oil in it) after a good buffing the next morning I awake to see more streaks and the dullness back . I have tried to put a wax on top of this shine but the shine is gone as soon as wax is buffed off of should I say stays in tiny cracks in top-coat.

I inquired about having it painted and that is out of the question at this time (no $$) All the hand scrubbing and buffing has taken off the chalky build up and color went from a dull white to a cream, but I want it to shine.

Please give me a name of a product that will give me and keep the shine on my Ladybug!!!! HELP!! MY ARMS ARE ABOUT TO FALL OFF
Gerry, we used something called nu glass, on our boler, made it look like new, was easy to apply and has stayed great.
We purchase it a Home hardware and building centre in canada. Not sure where you can get it in the U.S.A. It is in the boler stored at the lake, I will bring it home and give you the info off the label first chance I get
freida.sherrington is offline   Reply With Quote