Washing Scamp upholstery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Washing Scamp upholstery?

Anybody done this? Was it a big deal? I am hoping I can throw the upholstery off my 1988 Scamp 16' in the washing machine on gentle setting and be done.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
We washed some ancient upholstery from our 1977 Scamp and even though it was threadbare, it survived.
The foam already had plastic on it so it was easy to get back in the fabric. Well not easy easy, but possible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I tried the spray upholstery foam on mine-then the shop vac to suck it off. It got the dust and surface stuff off but did not do a good cleaning. I still haven't got around to just throwing it all in the wash. The curtains were too stained so I just bought new from Scamp. The spray foam did work on spots on the 'rat fur' on the walls.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Good info here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-51586.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #5

North Florida
Well, I washed them all. You would not believe the dirt left behind in the bottom of the washing machine after each batch. I washed them in three batches on the gentle cycle in cold water. They came out looking, feeling, and smelling very clean. Only one came apart, and that was mostly during the process of getting it off the foam. Now the fun begins, getting them back in the foam. I figure I will fight with one or two a night until I get them all done or get sick of it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #6

Name: Donna
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
refitting cushions

Hey, I recently saw a link to solving the cushion stuffing problem. I can't remember where but I bet you can find on youtube or google. You wrap in very thin trash bag or plastic film and use a vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck the air out till they're way smaller,slip back in the cover and peel away the plastic, VOILA! done. Good luck. Donna
Steve n Donna M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I used the dry clearer plastic and vacuum method - works well but you need two people to do it. Leave the bag on the cushions ones on they help to protect the foam from future stains etc. The original bags were still on my Scamp cushions after 16 years and the foam was clean as could be. I just purchased from my local dry cleaner some new plastic to use.

A shows you how to do it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

North Florida
I did three of the cushions last night, it was bad but not as bad as I feared. I turned them inside out but left a small pocket at the end. I inserted the foam and then rolled/tugged the cover back over the foam. It worked OK but three of them was all I felt like doing before changing to another project. I will do a couple a night until I get them all done. The one that did not survive being removed will be replaced by a new one coming from Scamp, along with a few other goodies for the old 16 footer. I am just waiting on the brown truck to bring my package from the frozen North.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Now that you've cleaned your cushions you might want to consider protecting them from future soiling. Simply drape a fleece blanket (or other type) over the cushions. They serve triple purposes; they are decorative, they protect the cushions and they serve as extra blankets, when needed. See photo of my Southwest/Desert theme. This photo was staged to show off the curtains by setting up the upper bunk.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp