Water between floor and fiberglass bottom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Little Joe
Ontario
Water between floor and fiberglass bottom

How would I get the water from between floor and fiberglass bottom?
D.King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
water

Curios, How do you know you have water between the floor and the FG.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

Ontario
Water

Hi Jeff I found the water when I was cleaning out under the right couch. It was between the floor wood and the wall, the wall rug was wet up to two inches. My method of removing it was raise the front as high as I could and jack up the left side. Then I took out the fridge insulation which was soaked and siphoned out about three inches of water. It must have been leaking for a while. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the fiberglass and put a rubber grommet over the hole. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Had to drill out holes in my old Ventura, I would plug them or at least put a small drain hose in there. The big question is, where did it come from, time to reseal the windows and check for leaks. On mine it was the window seals. It wasn't hard to pull the windows and reseal them. Sounds like you should also seal the fridge vents.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Consider drilling a hole in each corner or at least in a couple of known low spots. leave them open for drains. Is the wood floor in your Little Joe encapsulated? (fiberglassed over on the inside) If not you can air it out after draining to get it dry. If you have A/C, it will help to run it for a few hours to help dry it out since A/C acts as a dehumidifier.
Get it dry and be sure it is completely dry by opening all cabinets and removing cushions etc. to expose as much floor as possible while drying.
Water can cause a lot of damage and invites mold and rot.
You could open all windows and doors and run a heater blowing into the recesses.
Don't forget that the windows have drains which must be cleaned and kept open which is much more likely a source for a leak than a bad window seal.
Another source for water is condensation forming on the inside, especially on cool nights when a heater is run inside of a closed camper. Always keep the roof vent open a little when using a heater.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Ontario
Thanks Floyd. I'll check the windows. The trailer is not old, 2011 but they could have missed a spot when they installed the windows. There is a spot where I can see a little light. It's where the hook-up electric wire goes through the trailer wall. Do you know what kind of caulking do the manufacture uses to seal the hole?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Three inches of water in the bottom of your trailer suggests a major leak, much more than would likely come through a small gap around your electric hookups. If windows are not leaking, it has got to be something pretty significant. Do you have any vents in the roof that may have been left open or any seams that may be leaking? Maybe run a hose over your roof and go inside to see where the water is pouring in.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
water

I'm also thinking tail lights, marker lights. On my bff I have a spot on the side of the right rear tail light, that there is a hole in the gel coat. That spot had a void. The FG pulled away from the mold when it was being made.
Run a cloth over the trailer, see if it snags. Don't use your hand. FG splinters hurt.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote