Water connection advice. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #21

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
The bottom pic looks like someone used a 1/2” pvc pipe cap to plug the hole.
<_< have to wonder why.
Just a guess that maybe it leaked and was easier to put in a new one. Why would there be 2 fill tubes otherwise.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #22

Name: Blaine
Trailer: Aritocrat Landcommander
Washington
Seems so.
Woof70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #23

Washington
HA. You actually think I understand anything mechanical? Especially in the written word.
Bless you. But, I bet, I can find someone who does. ty!!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof70 View Post
HA. You actually think I understand anything mechanical? Especially in the written word.
Bless you. But, I bet, I can find someone who does. ty!!
its not magic. in fact its really pretty simple.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #25

Washington
After re-reading and contemplation, I think I get it. Thanks, again.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #26

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Quote:
Hoping to connect to "city" water, but don't know how or why these work. Thanks. "Fresh water fill ports" ?? Hoping so.

You might want to reconsider connecting to city water. If your plumbing (especially in an older camper) springs a leak, there's nothing to stop the water from filling up your camper! For that reason, I always fill the tank and turn the water pump on only when I want to run water.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #27

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
You might want to reconsider connecting to city water. If your plumbing (especially in an older camper) springs a leak, there's nothing to stop the water from filling up your camper! For that reason, I always fill the tank and turn the water pump on only when I want to run water.
🤔 This is why when ever we leave the camper we shut off the city water supply just like we would shut off the pump if we where using it.😁
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #28

Washington
Thank you! Both Gary & Cliff!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Water tank

We used our on board water tank the first year. After having to drain, add pink anti-freeze and other things, we decided to carry our drinking water in two gallon former apple juice jugs. When we need water to wash dishes, etc, we walk to the spigot at the site and get what we need.
Hint: always run the spigot water before attaching your drinking water hose to it. Some people dip the spigot into a container with bleach/water in it. Consider animals like water too, not to mention insects seeking a dark, closed space. If you attach, be sure to use a special hose and a pressure limiter. We, luckily, were sitting outside Homelet when we heard water running. We quickly shut off the water and discovered that a connection had let loose inside the appliance counter. So if you leave your rig, turn off the water to prevent flooding.
We decided to not go through all the work of yearly maintenance and the concerns of leaks and get our drinking water from supermarket water dispensers when our gallon jugs empty.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we use our water tank, or city water hookup, for washing, showering, toilet flushing. we use a 5 gallon carboy with a dolphin water pump for drinking water, coffee, etc...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #31

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Quote:
🤔 This is why when ever we leave the camper we shut off the city water supply just like we would shut off the pump if we where using it.😁
Good habit to get into!
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #32

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Attachment 123377 and Attachment 123378 These are the water connection on the outside of our '65 Aristocrat Trailer. Know how they work? Advice?
I think the one in the second photo is the same type of unit as the one in the first photo but the slide out part broke. I have no idea why they did not replace it but instead installed a new one in a different location. You can take the broken one out and create a cover plate out of some aluminum or ABS plastic. Use to same mounting holes and put some butyl tape under the edge of the cover plate to prevent leaks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #33

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Attachment 123377 and Attachment 123378 These are the water connection on the outside of our '65 Aristocrat Trailer. Know how they work? Advice?
I think the one in the second photo is the same type of unit as the one in the first photo but the slide out part broke. I have no idea why they did not replace it but instead installed a new one in a different location. You can take the broken one out and create a cover plate out of some aluminum or ABS plastic. Use to same mounting holes and put some butyl tape under the edge of the cover plate to prevent leaks. Or you could install something such as a square covered cable hatch there. Those can be handy for lots of modern items such as deploying an external antenna for cell phone reception. portable TV antenna, running a usb cable outside to power devices or little LED light strings running a power cord to the inside from a portable generator.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
No, if you connect a hose to you fresh water tank it will fill tank and continue to flow out the vent.
Hooking to city water should not fill your tank. If it is happening you have a problem. After all the city fill is after the pump and the pump should stop the water from going into your tank. Your pump may be faulty or there's a valve to close which is unlikely. I ran into that once in a larger class A motorhome but not since.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #35

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Been over a week and we still don't know to what, if anything, those are connected.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #36

Washington
if u r talking to me...been to busy to investigate.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #37

Washington
JasonT, ty. I love this blog!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #38

Washington
K Corbin, me neither. My plumber might be able to figure it out. Luckily he's a friend and hasn't billed me in 20 years. [Yes. I do send him checks, anyway.]
Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #39

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
We have both of those two ports on the outside of our Burro. one was standard the other I added when I put in the second tank. I tried filling through the single port but the flow through the 3/8” supply line to the new tank was very slow so I put in a Second filler port
does any know of a tank supplier who makes a larger diameter connection at the bottom of the tank? there is a half inch one but still not quite enough.

Thoughts?
Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #40

Name: Ed
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I concur, those are fresh water fills, with the smaller vent tube on top.

newer ones tend to look like this...
Do they make a hose fitting that connects to this, or are you supposed to just stick the hose inside?
skedius is offline   Reply With Quote