Water damage + - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Water damage +

I have finally gutted my Ventura trailer and now know the extent of the repairs needed.
There is severe water damage in 3 of the 4 corners to the point that parts of the framing are black and has disintegrated. see pic below
The framing above the small window is the same.
The floor in the rear on both sides is not attached to anything and sinks down about 3/4" with weight.
There are numerous holes and weak spots in the fiberglass, especially in the front, that are also letting water in.
The roof is full of pinholes and some larger holes (and is covered in tar which does not stop the rain)
I assume that the damage in the corners is due to a leaking belly band. To fix this do I need to remove the top? (The plywood behind the framing in the belly band is black and rotten in places so needs to be replaced.)
Does anyone know how much the top without the windows weighs, more or less?
The good news is that the trailer smells a lot better and I am on my way to my new really tiny home.
Any suggestions or hints would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2433.jpg   IMG_2432.jpg  

IMG_2430.jpg  
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'll guess the Windows leaked more than that belly band. Either way it's fixable. Not sure how they secured the wood but get it out and add new. I'd glass em in those corners maybe. You're doing well.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I have finally gutted my Ventura trailer and now know the extent of the repairs needed.
There is severe water damage in 3 of the 4 corners to the point that parts of the framing are black and has disintegrated. see pic below
The framing above the small window is the same.
The floor in the rear on both sides is not attached to anything and sinks down about 3/4" with weight.
There are numerous holes and weak spots in the fiberglass, especially in the front, that are also letting water in.
The roof is full of pinholes and some larger holes (and is covered in tar which does not stop the rain)
I assume that the damage in the corners is due to a leaking belly band. To fix this do I need to remove the top? (The plywood behind the framing in the belly band is black and rotten in places so needs to be replaced.)
Does anyone know how much the top without the windows weighs, more or less?
The good news is that the trailer smells a lot better and I am on my way to my new really tiny home.
Any suggestions or hints would be most appreciated.
Please be wearing a mask and not breathing the mold . All the moldy wood needs to be removed . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It seems unlikely that the belly band would be the cause of leaks.

The windows are the most likely cause, water obeys the law of gravity but will spread sideways when it hits a diversionary path until it once again goes on down if it there is still a sufficient amount of flow.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Pat, Thanks for your concern, I am wearing protection. The wood is dry at this point. All in all the trailer smells a lot better now that I have cleared out most of the smelly bits.

Re: water damage: I took off the belly band and the corners of the trailer have separated as much as 1/4" and some of the fiberglass is damaged. The wood that the screws holding the top and bottom have come out of their holes in the rotted wood, causing the separation. I am going to try to replace the wood without taking the top of the trailer right off.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Pat, Thanks for your concern, I am wearing protection. The wood is dry at this point. All in all the trailer smells a lot better now that I have cleared out most of the smelly bits.

Re: water damage: I took off the belly band and the corners of the trailer have separated as much as 1/4" and some of the fiberglass is damaged. The wood that the screws holding the top and bottom have come out of their holes in the rotted wood, causing the separation. I am going to try to replace the wood without taking the top of the trailer right off.
Lot's of work , but in the end great satisfaction for doing this yourself . Glad you have protection . If I was younger I would also attempt doing this myself . Now I just do mods to my trailer . I envy you . Post your progress , love to see how it's coming along . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote