Water from defrosting Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Water from defrosting Fridge

I'm going to post this here and on UHaulcamper.com simply because it's not a strict UHaul question. The fridge just happens to be in our UHaul!

I realized when our previous fridge failed that the ice coating from the freezer compartment ended up dripping out the door of the fridge and getting our carpet all wet. How do people with these small dorm style fridges keep that from happening every time they unhook from power and travel on down the road? There is a small drip tray intended to catch the water, but it seems to slosh over and run all over during travel.

Any ideas? I'm guessing these little fridges weren't made to drain the excess water since they were intended for bedrooms and dorm rooms where they aren't jostled and transported. I can't turn the fridge off and defrost before leaving every camp site because we use the fridge right up until we load the cooler with the leftovers and pop.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You could try putting a small sponge at the bottom of the fridge when traveling - that might help. Or you could try keeping a couple of small freezer packs in the freezer compartment while traveling, that might help avoid to much cooling down in that area and reduce the water issue as well.

I dont have a dorm fridge so I havent had the problem of water dripping out the main door but something I have learned is that if the freezer area of the fridge is allowed to get a lot of ice build up its an indication the fridge is set at too low a temp than it need be and the fridge doesnt work as well as it can as a result of the ice build up. If your getting a lot of ice build up in just a few days of camping I would try turning the fridge temp down just a little, that may also help.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge