Water getting into closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

Name: Jules
Trailer: Scamp 13
New York
Water getting into closet

Hello,
I have a 13' Scamp with a front bathroom. There is a small amount of water getting into our closet (between the door and the bed). This is the first time I've had this issue, and would love some advice on what to check. My first thought would be an issue with one or more of the rivets.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Jules
ninelimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelimes View Post
Hello,
I have a 13' Scamp with a front bathroom. There is a small amount of water getting into our closet (between the door and the bed). This is the first time I've had this issue, and would love some advice on what to check. My first thought would be an issue with one or more of the rivets.
Jules
You don't say the year of your Scamp or what model.
Is it a standard with a large bed and a front bath made after 2008?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #3

New York
It's a 2011 13' Scamp Standard model (not with the larger bed.)
Thanks
Old 08-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Rain water or potable?

Quote:
Hello,
Jules
Is it this floor plan? Do you have a sink in the shower?
Mine had no calk on the lines under the sink leading to the shower from the closet.
Water followed the lines into the closet and caulk fixed it
Attached Thumbnails
floor_plan_13layout2_small.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had a problem with water leaking into my closet by the door on the front side (modified Scamp). I caulked and looked and it almost drove me crazy.
The leak was in the junction between the top and bottom halves. The junction was not completely sealed with resin and the fiberglass mat that holds the two together formed a channel that let the water run to the junction with the door and then leak through a small hole in the mat and behind the Elephant hide Ensolite insulation.
The final fix was to pull that part of the belly band clear and caulk the seam lips AND reinstall the belly band, caulking only the top and leaving a small gap on the bottom for the water that gets behind the band to drain.
Once the water gets into the void formed by the mat and the junction of the top and bottom it can travel from almost anywhere!
Try caulking the TOP only of the belly band and leave the bottom open.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

New York
Thank you for your responses. My Scamp is the same floorplan as the diagram above, although there is just a shower and toilet, not a sink. But we haven't used the shower/toilet/kitchen sink this year, so I think it's more of an issue of rainwater coming in. I will check the bellyband to see if there are any breaks in the seal.
Thank you!
Old 08-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
What year is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I had a problem with water leaking into my closet by the door on the front side (modified Scamp). I caulked and looked and it almost drove me crazy.
The leak was in the junction between the top and bottom halves. The junction was not completely sealed with resin and the fiberglass mat that holds the two together formed a channel that let the water run to the junction with the door and then leak through a small hole in the mat and behind the Elephant hide Ensolite insulation.
There were some quality complaints in this group in the late teens. This JPEG is how Scamp claims to do the seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp seam.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Hello,
Jules
I think you are referring to a leak in the cabinets between the door and the bed, not the front closet between the door and the front bath? If so, we also had a leak there. It was caused by one of the rivets on the roof above the cabinets. It's a common Scamp leak. You can fix it with a new rivet, sealed with butyl tape.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Ohio
I had some water in the closet. It was from a leak in one of the water lines that go to the shower. They pass through the closet. (At least mine do) I tightened the threaded fitting to address the problem. Just a thought worth checking.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'm not familiar with Scamps, but could it be a leak from the exterior door light?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
If the rivet wiggles easily from the outside, there's your leak. It could also leak if the cap is missing.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote