Water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Water heater

Ours will operate on electric or gas. Neither setting will make the water hot enough to need cooling for a shower nor will it get hot enough to properly wash dishes. Tried it with both electric and gas turned on and got the same result. Any ideas? I'm waterheaterly challenged. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you check the temp adjustment on the water contol valve???? Most will bring water up to about 140 degrees on gas
If you don't have the operating manual for the heater, just google the make and model number, followed by the word "manual", and one will usually appear.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I agree with Bob. Additionally, what year is it? Have you checked for sediment?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It would seem that the propane is not working as the electric should only maintain vs heat up the water, propane would heat it hot stand alone.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... the electric should only maintain vs heat up the water, propane would heat it hot stand alone.
Since we don't even know the model of heater, I see no justification for declaring the electric element incapable of heating water to the desired temperature.

We have a motohome (no, this one's not an egg, but the 6-gallon RV water heater doesn't know that) with an Atwood water heater which delivers very hot water on just the (factory-installed) electric element. Recovery time would be long, but if you don't need more than 6 gallons at a time, that doesn't matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
The problem is you have a bypass valve installed. The valve is open between the hot and cold line.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We have a Suburban and it is plenty hot with electric.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob, I replaced the original water heater in our Egg with an Atwood 6-gallon combination gas/electric water heater. It heats well on either fuel. It has a mix valve that allows mixing cold water with the heated water to achieve the proper water temperature. If yours has a mix valve, you should be able to adjust the temperature at the tap. If no mix valve, the problem could be a faulty thermostat or as Mike suggests, a bypass valve that is either leaking or partially opened and acting like a mix valve, allowing cold water to mix with the heated water.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #9

Michigan
The water heater is in our Kodiak, not our Egg Camper. We've been out a week and it worked ok the first couple of days. Now, with both propane & electric turned on, it barely gets warm enough for a shower with NO cold added. Nowhere near hot enough for washing dishes. Since we're a thousand miles from home, we have an RV tech coming tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We have a 2013 17' Coleman that is, essentially, a rebadged Kodiak, with the dual heat water heater and it works fine on either.
Did you try it on LP ONLY? There may be some interconnect issues when trying to use both sources.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #11

Michigan
My final word on this. The lack of hot water is either due to my stupidity or my forgetfulness. When dewinterizing I didn't close the bypass valve. No LAUGHING!!!