water heater pilot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
reigniter, et al.

:wave forgot the photos. that's Lora's dept. and she did'nt take any.
we bought the igniter from bubba's local rv appliance distributor as well as the Dometic exhaust fan kit for the refer.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #22

Water heater igniters

We purchased a 2002 17' SD in October of 2001 with the SW6P gas water heater. It was a real PITB to squat down on my knees, hold down the pilot position of the control valve, try to press the safety switch on the lighting device and peek in the hole to see if and when the pilot ignited. Especially after the propane had been off for a while. Even lighting the burners on the stove top didn’t seem to hurry the gas to the WH. I called the Suburban Mfg 423-775-2131 and inquired about a fix. They told me a reignitor kit was available that basically is a 12 VDC sparking device that would eliminate the need for flame devices to light the water heater. I believe the kit is #520790. I called a local RV place, ordered the kit, had them install it and it has been a real winner. I still have to go outside, open the WH door and depress the pilot control but none of the squatting, peeking and saying bad words especially when we arrive at camp after dark and it is cold. It still takes a while for the gas to arrive but the igniter supplies the spark when the gas gets there and will reignite the burner if by chance the flame goes out. The device cost $58.54 including tax and the installation charge was $55 the hourly labor charge. I don’t have the luxury of internal lighting but this mod certainly beats the old way.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:57 PM   #23

To lite the water heater

Since, as we all know, lighting the water heater can sometimes be a challenge ... and I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't bend as easily as I once did ... and if I get on the ground, often require assistance getting back up ...

I carry a little folding seat (smaller than one of those bag chairs ... this is just a seat, no arms or back) ... which I unfold and place in front of the water heater so I can sit in front of the heater and fiddle with stuff.

The little folding seat also works well for fiddling with the refrigerator or battery, even allows me to sit in front of the storage compartment and reorganize stuff ... and the little stool doubles as a leg rest in front of my full sized folding chair.