Water In Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Hi All,

First post, having just picked up my new-to-me 1976 13' Trillium on the weekend. I've done a search, but couldn't find the answer to this puzzling situation...

I think I've got water in between the two fibreglass panels in the door! When I shake the door back and forth quickly, I can hear water sloshing around. Is this common? I was thinking I would drill one or two small holes in the bottom of the door, let it all drain out, then re-fibreglass over them to seal it again. Comments?

Here's hoping I haven't bought a 'lemon'!

Tim Ryce
North Vancouver, BC
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Tim -- a lemon? Nah! Water in the door is one of the common problems. Pretty much everybody either has water in the door, lives in a dry climate, or has already fixed it. The solution, as you already figured out, is to drill two or three drain holes to let it out. But, don't plug them back up, or the door will just fill up again. Just leave them open to drain out. Car doors all have open drain holes at the bottom for this same reason, so it's really no big deal. Enjoy your new camper!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll drill the holes tonight, and hopefully have a lighter door before the weekend, when my wife and I are going to try our first overnighter.

Lots of great info on this forum. I'm already starting to plan the full rewiring, reinstallation of the water tank, etc, etc. So much to do, and summer is right around the corner!

~Tim
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Tim -- I envy you! Rebuilding my Scamp 13 Dlx was one of the most fun times I've had in my life! I will probably do it again someday, possibly several times, when I find the right opportunity. Have a ball!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Here's hoping I haven't bought a 'lemon'!
You may have just discovered a clever new place to use for water storage. (Hmm lemons... did I hear Gina say lemonade dispenser? )

Have fun with your new purchase. Lots of things to discover and learn for sure.