Water in shower area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
Water in shower area

I have never taken a shower in my Casita and don’t use the sink and yet I have a small amount of water on the floor. Where would that be coming from?
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We have had the same thing happen on a couple of occasions. We found the hot and cold fittings loose under the sink where the 90 degree fitting turns to go up to the faucet. Just tightened them up and they quit dripping. Maybe they vibrated loose on some bumpy roads. Never happened again.

On another occasion we had the bath exhaust fan closed and noticed rain dripping in from the trim around the fan. There was a steady light rain outside and about two teaspoons of water dripped out in about 3 minutes. It never happened again...just one time.

The other time was the P-trap fittings loose. Just tightened them up and never had another problem there either. Again I blame it on bumpy roads.

Another thought is your shower trap (may not be the right word) may be in the open position if you have one. My understanding is the newer Casitas have a different type of trap rather than a P-trap to keep water from flowing from the gray water tank back to the shower basin.

Just as a side note....We also had water on the floor under the kitchen sink which I traced down to the factory not sealing between the sink and the fiberglass. Sealed it and have not had another problem.

Hope this gives you some ideas of where to look.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas. It doesn't sound like a major issue...I hope. Good luck.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

Wy & Az
I’m thinking perhaps it’s the shower valve in the closet being open. I don’t know why I have it open if I never shower there. Now I’m thinking my grey water tank may have overflowed a bit. I’m living in the Casita so it’s not getting moved and I have repaired a leak in the sink cabinet last year.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll dry it out and close the valve and see if that works.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Grey tank full?
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I vote for the loose fitting answer. You can feel the connections and see if they are wet. If not, you've eliminated one possibility.

I need to tighten things up under there. I have a slow drip that runs from the fittings to down the shower wall. The drip goes on for about an hour after taking a shower. I'm thinking the hot water causes expansion and so on. It is definitely coming from the fitting under the sink.

Good luck and I hope it is easy to find and fix. There are worse places to have drippy water.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I’m thinking perhaps it’s the shower valve in the closet being open. I don’t know why I have it open if I never shower there. Now I’m thinking my grey water tank may have overflowed a bit. I’m living in the Casita so it’s not getting moved and I have repaired a leak in the sink cabinet last year.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll dry it out and close the valve and see if that works.
Yes you can easily get water in the shower area if the valve is open. Some Casita's like the 2007 have a handle under the front of the trailer and some have the handle in the closet. The valve needs to be open for draining the grey water tank or it will only trickle out. If you move the trailer make sure the handle is closed or you'll end up with a mess in the shower from the grey water coming out of the drain. I found out the hard way.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A major contributor to water in the shower pan would be attributable to the fact that early models, (prior to 2008,) of Casita trailers had a shower drain shut-off valve located outside under the front of the trailer, which isolated the shower pan from the gray water tank, later models, (from circa 2008 on,) had the shut-off valve moved inside and mounted in the front closet. Finally, Casita got smart and incorporated the HepVo one-way bladder valve, (think "duck call" bladder,) as of 2013 and beyond. This is actually an aftermarket mod that many of us have done for years, long before the Casita factory started installing it as standard equipment.

If you have any water in the "gray tank" and you forget to close the valve completely, (for those who still have the manual valve,) then you can shift water from the gray tank to the shower pan. The reverse of this situation would be that if you are taking a shower and find yourself ankle deep in water, chances are you forgot to open the valve so the shower pan could drain into the grey tank.

Towing the trailer with water in the gray tank would allow the contents to shift forward into the shower pan when you decelerate if the valve isn't closed.

Although it isn't totally unheard of for a hot or cold water line connection to leak, the majority of the water found in most shower pans comes from the gray tank, and the isolation valve not being closed.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Wy & Az
My Casita is a 2015 so the valve is in the closet. i think not draining the grey water tank in a timely manner must be what is causing the problem. I am stationary so it’s not the motion causing it. I have closed the valve and will mop up the water. We’ll see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

Clogged

Greg,
We have a 2010 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. I'm having trouble with the a plugged shower drain (water will not go down even when plunged) and there is gray water odor coming from the drain. So far, I have plunged the drain with no result. Then, I took off the trap under the trailer to see if that was clogged. That seems fine as the water ran easily through the drain and out the far end of the trap. So, I think there must be some kind of blockage between the end of the trap and the connection to the gray water tank. My next step, I think, is to snake that section to see if there is some kind of clog in the pipe.
In reading your discussion here, I'm a little nervous about running a snake through the pipe. Attached is a picture of the drain pipes below the shower. Is that black thing the valve to keep gray water from backing into the shower drain?
If I try to snake that section of pipe, won't I damage the valve?
If that's the case, is there another way I can troubleshoot the clogged pipe?
Thanks,
Marty
Attached Thumbnails
casita shower line valve.jpg  
SHIBSHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIBSHI View Post
Greg,
We have a 2010 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. I'm having trouble with the a plugged shower drain (water will not go down even when plunged) and there is gray water odor coming from the drain. So far, I have plunged the drain with no result. Then, I took off the trap under the trailer to see if that was clogged. That seems fine as the water ran easily through the drain and out the far end of the trap. So, I think there must be some kind of blockage between the end of the trap and the connection to the gray water tank. My next step, I think, is to snake that section to see if there is some kind of clog in the pipe.
In reading your discussion here, I'm a little nervous about running a snake through the pipe. Attached is a picture of the drain pipes below the shower. Is that black thing the valve to keep gray water from backing into the shower drain?
If I try to snake that section of pipe, won't I damage the valve?
If that's the case, is there another way I can troubleshoot the clogged pipe?
Thanks,
Marty
Have you opened the drain valve handle in the closet or under the front of the trailer? Depending on which year you have it may be in either place. If the drain is working from the trap down it is the handle in the closed position most likely. Some people have no idea about it especially if it is underneath the front. Yes you will damage the black trap underneath if you snake it. It is most likely not clogged anyway.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: P
Washington
Pull up on the handle that is in the closet to open the valve. Sometimes it takes a bit of oomph.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post

Another thought is your shower trap (may not be the right word) may be in the open position if you have one. My understanding is the newer Casitas have a different type of trap rather than a P-trap to keep water from flowing from the gray water tank back to the shower basin.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas. It doesn't sound like a major issue...I hope. Good luck.

jon
Boler used a twist locking plug for travel on original setup, but we replaced it with push lock house unit drain plug as we needed plumping repairs. Forget to lock it and you can get back flow into the show base from grey water tank while driving. Greg our Boler does not have an inside valve like above picture, actually looks more fool prof if you know it is there.