Water inside Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Water inside Fridge

I have a Norcold fridge in my Casita and last summer being in it full time while at the campground water would drip off the fins in the back and collect in the bottom of the ridge.
I should say the fridge was on AC power.
There is no drain hole in bottom of fridge
I placed a few drip cloths under it but even after a few days these are dripping wet.
I then placed the top of an egg carton under the fins and I collect about half a cup of water every few days.
How do others control this problem?
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #2

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
It's dark and icy so I won't run out and look, but there should be a little rectangular box/pan underneath the fins to catch that water. That has a little drain in it which drains it out of the fridge.

Oops, I think I have a Dometic fridge or whatever came with the 2012 Casita.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Condensation in Fridge

Another examle of CONDENSATION.
Are you in a humid climate? Just like your fridge at home, every time you open the door it lets in humid air which condenses on the cooling coils. But, in the camper you don't have automatic defrost.
Keep a storage container or tray of a size to fit, to catch the drips and empty it as needed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I would have to agree with the previous post. Moist air contacting a cold surface yields condensation. The fins (cold surface) provide the cooling for your fridge. The air inside the unit is cooled, decreasing its ability to hold water vapor, resulting in condensation. You open the door, the heavier cold air flows out and is replaced by warmer moist air. The process repeats each time the door is opened. The fridge should be designed to collect this water in a drip pan etc. and there may also be a hose to drain the drip pan under the trailer.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the response and I guess the only solution is to keep doing what I do, try to collect it in a pan and dump it.
Trying to put a weeks worth of food in there along with the large egg crate top can be a chore but it can be done.
Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Make sure that your door gasket is clean and in good condition.
Then make sure that the door fits snug all the way around when it is closed.
A leaky door gasket can cause what you are experiencing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I have a Norcold fridge in my Casita and last summer being in it full time while at the campground water would drip off the fins in the back and collect in the bottom of the ridge.
I should say the fridge was on AC power.
There is no drain hole in bottom of fridge
I placed a few drip cloths under it but even after a few days these are dripping wet.
I then placed the top of an egg carton under the fins and I collect about half a cup of water every few days.
How do others control this problem?
You should have a plastic pan all across the back of the fridge under the fins that is about 3 inches from front to back. The pan has a drain hole in it and a tube is attached to it. The tube goes out the back of the fridge into a metal pan behind the fridge by the flame. The water then evaporates out of the metal pan. Make sure the fridge is level for best running of it. We have a Norcold and a Dometic fridge in our rigs and both are made the same. There really shouldn't be water coming off of the fins unless your fridge is to warm. Get an indoor outdoor thermometer and see how cold it is. We keep an eye on our fridge temperature that way. You don't want to open the door to check the temperature since that lets in warm air. Are you opening the fridge door frequently? That will warm it up and that would cause the ice on the fins to melt.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #8

The fridge is not new but not original either, Gasket is in good shape and there is no gap, did the paper pull trial when door is closed.
I stay in camper, during the summer, working at a campground in New Hampshire so weather can get into the 80's but not all the time.
This year was a real dry year so that's wasn't an issue.
guess it's something I can fix by finding the right size pan to fit under fins and running tube to outside.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
get the model number of the fridge, and check the Norcold site for a manual, you may find that the correct part is available
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge