Water leakage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Lou
Trailer: U-Haul
Quebec
Question Water leakage

I removed all the old caulking around the solar panel base and its top glass, and around the vent of my U-Haul and put some new in place and rain is still dripping inside my camper. Did someone already have this problem and can tell me where I forgot to look for leakage???
Lsdshrns59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I had leakage right through the center seam under the solar panel. The only way to see for certain where the leak was I had to remove the carpet on the ceiling. Could not see any defect or gap but water would drip out of the fiberglass. I had to remove the solar panel to make this fix. The panel is held on with 6 screws that go up through the roof from inside. They have large flat heads with a screwdriver slot. There are captive nuts on the panel rails, lube them before trying to remove the screws. There is also a rubber grommet in the roof that the wire to the panel goes through. So your leak could be at any one of those points and caulking along the edge won't resolve the problem. I also had another leak in the seam forward of the roof vent. Leaks at the windows and marker lights are also common, and rain can also blow in through the stove vent louvers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you have good trim - lock on the seam I'm not sure how it could leak.
The leak is more than likely originating from where the solar panels were installed.
I will do another Burro one day and next time I'm going to grind down the center seam and glass it to make a one piece shell.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The trim-lock on ours did not go all the way under the solar panel. If the seam has a flaw in it as ours did then water could travel from the vent hole area back through the seam until it found it's way inside. My opinion on grinding down the center seam is that it will take away some structural strength. Just my opinion, I know it's been done.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Name: Marshall
Trailer: Hoping to get one for my 50th bday
Pennsylvania
I'm new to the fbgrv and just starting my adventure researching about fiberglass rvs. Are water leaks common as they are with stick built tt s. I know everyone likes the brand of fbrvs they own so I won't ask which is the best as I read one can find a lemon in any brand. So based on various posts out there what are the top brands out there? Are there any one should avoid? I plan to attend the rv show in hershey pa in sept. I'm hoping they'll have some to look at and walk through. I'm hoping to have one by 50 th b day next July or before. Used ones are hard to find inexpensively
Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You will be better off finding a fiberglass trailer rally than going to an RV show. I don't believe any of the current manufacturers of FG eggs demo at those shows. Take a look at the events section to see where some rallies are being held in your area.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Name: Marshall
Trailer: Hoping to get one for my 50th bday
Pennsylvania
hi Kevin
I checked the calendar. No rally in the Philly area In fact I saw one listed in egg harbor not excited and found out its in WI lol. So are there certain brands or methods of manufacturing the fiberglass rvs that are perhaps less prone to leaks? The scamp casita egg camper seem quite interesting as does triium. In my journey toward owni g one I'm trying to find the least problematic one as I'm a sight impaired guy. My wife does all of our driving. So for me spotting a leak might be tricky unless I feel it. All I can say is the egg shape campers are so lol looking. I can hardly wait to feel and see one in person. Any egg shape camper owners in the Philly jersey area out there?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Marshall
There is a small rally coming up in August in NY.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-61524.html

A less leak prone egg might be a new, or newer model, the less holes through the shell the better. The Escapes do not use rivets so that may help, don't know about the rest.

I suppose you could ask for one to be made with no windows, A/C, or roof vents, that would certainly cut down on possible leaks.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
This particular thread was started about a leak in a U-Haul egg, which was built around '84 or '85 only. My point is that the best way to get a trailer without leaks is a relatively new (less than 10 years old) or brand new one. 20-30 year old trailers tend to be higher maintenance.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote