Water meter for back flushing black water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Water meter for back flushing black water tank

Thought I pass this along for back flushing your black water tank.

I have a Scamp 13 and found it was difficult to guess how much water I was using with my Valterra Flush King to back flush my black water tank. Then I found this water meter on Amazon which tells me within reason how much water I am using. There are 2 readings, the upper reading can be used and reset between flushes and the lower reading the total amount of water used, which can be reset as well. The device is made by "Save A Drop"

This way I am sure not to expect any surprises on the bathroom floor when I am finished. I usually use 3.5 gal each time I do a back flush until I am sure I have flushed it thoroughly.

The other device connected to the meter is a back flow preventer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6448.jpg   DSCF6447.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I picked up one of these (without the check valve) at Ace Hardware a couple years ago. The prices are all over the place, with ACE being near the best at about $15.

Hadn't thought of your usage which is a pretty good idea if you use the Flush King which which I do as well.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Instead of back-flushing, we had a wand made of PVC, about 2 ft long with the end cap drilled with holes in 6 directions. You connect it to your hose and step on the toilet flush pedal to open the drain. then spray water toward the sides of the tank to rinse all the "crap" down the drain.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Works Well

Wayne,

We bought one like that years ago and it works well.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
those little water meters are handy for measuring how much water you consume while camping with water hookups. gives you a rough idea about how full your waste tanks might be. not sure i'd use the same meter for fresh and waste water tho...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Hi Patrick,

I only use mine for the black water back flush, but since I have a back flow preventer on the output side of the meter, I don't think there would be a problem using it to measure total water usage in the gray water system.

I disconnect the fresh water hose completely when back flushing the black water.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Hi Wayne,

I don't know, that seems like a lot of trouble to me to drag hoses into the camper. Just my opinion.

Since I have to hook up my waste hose to the black water system any how, I just think its easier for me to put the Valterra back flush on, hook up the water hose and flush. I can see when its clean flow out.

Jack