Water odor - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2002, 06:11 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bleach

Hi Tom ... hey, we're not talking about putting 15 gallons of straight bleach into the system ... just mixing a 1/3 cup or so into 15 gallons of fresh water, pulling it through the system ... leaving it for a few hours ... maybe overnight ... then flushing the system with fresh water.

It's a pretty standard accepted system for sanitizing RV water systems. No problem. The only "seals" in the system are in the water pump.

Years ago, there was a problem with the kinds of pipes used in RVs. There was flaking inside the pipes, which would plug the water pump, etc.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:30 PM   #22

Water Filter

:wave Jana:

The water filter is one that you screw onto the water faucet in the kitchen. Don't know if it would work in the Casita but, we use bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc. We have a Pur Filter bought at Walmart, others have used a different brand. You turn it sideways to use regular faucet water and vertically to filter. There is no smell nor taste left of the chlorine. :banana
Hope this answers your question, if not you can email me. :reye2

Old 12-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #23

bleach

As someone (bicyclist) who has used sugar based 'fluid replacement' drinks such as gatoraid etc. I sometimes find a 'green/black mold' growing in the 'water' bottle if it hasn't been washed clean. The mold grows quickly. I'd fill the bottle, add a teaspoon or less of bleach, shake it up and let it stand overnite. By morning the mold would be gone. Empty the bottle, rinse, refill and drink out of it that day. Did it for years, no problem.:dance

Perhaps this experience is one reason why I don't 'trust' the water supply in the Casita for drinking. Especially since it sits stagnate for weeks at a time and you can't see what's in there. :o

Did you ever wonder where that 8" anode rod disappeared to?? ech!

=========

.......but the seals are happy, you can hear em 'bark' (some folks think it's air in the lines).:)

Old 12-04-2002, 01:05 AM   #24

the filters I was talking about....

The filters I was referring to are available from Camping World and I'm sure any other RV supply joint you have near you.

Imagine two very large orange juice cans end to end. This attaches to your end of the hose, and then you attach another hose to the other end of it to run to your RV. They make little 6'' hoses that are handy just for this purpose.

If you have a water heater, it's worth keeping as many minerals out of it as possible.

The water here in colorado is *very* minerally... even when I use the city water supply, it's amazing how much mineral deposits I deal with on other objects - I'm thinking right now of my tabletop water fountain here in my office... it's black.. but most of it looks white right now (time for some LimeAway on it!).