water pump issue? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
water pump issue?

Just replaced the water heater tank in my new to me '88 Scamp 16. Put a couple of gallons in the freshwater tank opened the faucets and turned on the pump. The usual sputtering has been going on for what seems to me too long. Maybe 20 min or a half an hour. Does the hot water tank need to fill all the way before i get water? Pump sounds ok but I'm not too experienced with them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biw314 View Post
Just replaced the water heater tank in my new to me '88 Scamp 16. Put a couple of gallons in the freshwater tank opened the faucets and turned on the pump. The usual sputtering has been going on for what seems to me too long. Maybe 20 min or a half an hour. Does the hot water tank need to fill all the way before i get water? Pump sounds ok but I'm not too experienced with them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
Yes it does, unless the hot water tank inlet valve is shut.
The water heater works (for water flow) just like the one in the house.
water pressure from the fresh water pump [or the shore hose], pushes water through the tank and up to the faucet, replenishing the tank in the process.
Three points...
1] you could save some pump time by using the shore hose to fill the hot water.
2] don't ever service the freshwater pump without closing the inlet valve on the hotwater tank or draining the tank. [there is a danger of scalding and/or spillage inside the trailer]
3] always drain the freshwater tank and disconnect the shore hose when servicing the fresh water pump.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Lakeville, CT
Thanks for the reply! A couple of questions:

1. What do you mean by servicing the pump? An operation where it is disconnected?

2. How long would you expect it to take for the tank to fill?

Again, thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! A couple of questions:

1. What do you mean by servicing the pump? An operation where it is disconnected?

2. How long would you expect it to take for the tank to fill?

Again, thanks.
1] Yes, any time the lines are removed from the pump.

2] You mentioned a "couple of gallons"... the hot water tank holds six gallons and your freshwater tank holds twelve gallons.
If you opened both hot and cold faucets or had less than about seven gallons in the fresh tank, then you may never get a clear flow from the faucet. If the fresh tank were full and the pump working at normal capacity you should get full flow from the hot faucet in a 2-3 minutes, probably less. If not then try shore water with the pump off.
If your faucet is seems constantly over aerated, then unscrew the tip of the faucet and clean the screen.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Lakeville, CT
Lots of wisdom. Thanks, man.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

Lakeville, CT
pump shut off

OK, I've got pressure and have fixed any leaks that have cropped up. Now the pump seems to be running forever. If I'm not mistaken, the pump should shut off automatically when a certain pressure is reached and come back on if the pressure drops below a threshold. I've left it on for more than 10 minutes with no shut off, pressure seems adequate in the faucet.

More help would be appreciated,

Bill
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
OK, I've got pressure and have fixed any leaks that have cropped up. Now the pump seems to be running forever. If I'm not mistaken, the pump should shut off automatically when a certain pressure is reached and come back on if the pressure drops below a threshold. I've left it on for more than 10 minutes with no shut off, pressure seems adequate in the faucet.

More help would be appreciated,

Bill
What is the Brand, and model of the pump?
Most have a pressure switch on the end of the pump which can be serviced separately or even adjusted.
Does it look like this?...
Shurflo Pumps - The Classic 2088 12V on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

also this may help, look here ...
http://tinyurl.com/65jkex9

and here...
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5031832...o-rv-pump.html
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #8

Lakeville, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That's exactly it. Shurflo 2.8 g/min. Is the adjustment the screw on the end in the center? It's not obvious from the data sheet and it's tough getting a good peak at mine.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

Lakeville, CT
Quote:
That's exactly it. Shurflo 2.8 g/min. Is the adjustment the screw on the end in the center? It's not obvious from the data sheet and it's tough getting a good peak at mine.
I think I found it. I'll give a try and report back.