Water Pumps and Furnaces - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Wow! The response to my last question was so great that I decided to come back for more! 2 more upcoming projects on my "fix the camper" list.

1) Water Pump stopped working - it was working fine, we went camping, used water hook up for the weekend, then it stopped working. It still makes the same sounds when we turn it on, but no water comes out. Does the water connection bypass the water tank? or work by filling it and running through it? Is it simply that the water tank is empty? I tried filling it and it still didn't work but I may not have filled it all the way. Suggestion on tracking down the problem?

2) Furnace pilot lights but goes out after about a minute. I have read a lot of other threads and followed websites, so I have some idea of where to work from. We didn't really use the gas stove on the recent trip beyond heating a little hot water (after the furnace wouldn't light). I'm thinking that I just need to bleed the system and try again - am waiting to get out of the garage before trying to light stuff (still a little paranoid on the gas thing). Could the on/off valve be clogged?
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I will try and answer both question's as best as I can. )
The water diagram in the Scamp manual shows the water hook up connects to the water line just after the pump.
That means that there has to be a check valve between the pump and the water tank to stop the city water from going into the water tank.
The line from the tank may have a filter of some kind and be plugged up or the check valve is stuck or you may have a airlock at the pump for some reason.

I hope I didn't confuse you to much.

On the furnace, it sounds like either the pilot orifice may have a spider web in it, ( clean it out with a small screw driver, blowing will NOT work ) or the thermocouple is weak and dropping out and shutting off the gas valve.

Bill K.

Quote:
1) Water Pump stopped working - it was working fine, we went camping, used water hook up for the weekend, then it stopped working. It still makes the same sounds when we turn it on, but no water comes out. Does the water connection bypass the water tank? or work by filling it and running through it? Is it simply that the water tank is empty? I tried filling it and it still didn't work but I may not have filled it all the way. Suggestion on tracking down the problem?

2) Furnace pilot lights but goes out after about a minute. I have read a lot of other threads and followed websites, so I have some idea of where to work from. We didn't really use the gas stove on the recent trip beyond heating a little hot water (after the furnace wouldn't light). I'm thinking that I just need to bleed the system and try again - am waiting to get out of the garage before trying to light stuff (still a little paranoid on the gas thing). Could the on/off valve be clogged?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Dear Diane,

What year is your Scamp, and the type of furnace? Most of these have a NT16S Suburbans. Also the region of the country you are in...(some issues are more chronic than others region to region.) Also the floor plan would be helpful.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Hi Harry,
I think the Scamp is 1984. The furnace is under the gas stove, next to the refrigerator. I don't know how old the furnace is (if it's original). It's a Suburban NT 12 SE, called a Dynatrail. I live in California and as far as I know, the last owners were also in CA.

Diane D

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1) Water Pump stopped working - it was working fine, we went camping, used water hook up for the weekend, then it stopped working. It still makes the same sounds when we turn it on, but no water comes out.
My original water pump often had the same problem, and it was because it lost it's prime whenever we used the "City Water" connection. There is air in the line preventing the pump from lifting the water out of the tank and up into your sink. I used to have to siphon at the faucet to get the pump to work.

I have since replaced it with a new pump, which is self-priming.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you don't already have the manuals for the furnace, check out these from the Document Center... I think yours is at the bottom of the list: Furnace Manuals
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

Dear Diane,

I have uploaded the factory service/repair manual for the NT series furnace to Donna D. who is one of the gurus at large keeping the gears behind F.B.R.V.turning neatly.

I am told it will be one week before it is available on the F.B.R.V. site.

You will not see this available right now if you check. Give it a week or so to appear.
The service manual with all the test procedures with detailed explanations of the furnace step by step operations will be added for all to use. Once the manual is available and you have access to it, I will be glad to help you to start in trouble shooting the most likely cause of your issues with this furnace.

The unit is well worth the repair being a time tested design.
I have a pretty good idea now from reading your post where I would start, barring the exotic unknown bizarre problems, I suspect two small screws in the ground return path to the control board from the flame sensor, they are probably rusted in the mounting plate to the igniter assembly, its blocking the control board from seeing that the burner is lit...the control board is designed to shut down if it cannot prove ignition. In this model there are no pilots, its a direct spark ignition system...Yes two screws rusty can shut it down.

It will strike 3 times then lock off.
The manual has pics I can refer too.

Lets wait for the manual to appear, post when you have access to it, or email me thru the F.B.R.V. personal messages, We can open another thread or I will watch this one for a message you have it now.

Repair work is more a method than it is magic, a trail of clues that leads to a guess, the manual is well written from this point.

Good camping, Safe journeys

Harry

Quote:
Hi Harry,
I think the Scamp is 1984. The furnace is under the gas stove, next to the refrigerator. I don't know how old the furnace is (if it's original). It's a Suburban NT 12 SE, called a Dynatrail. I live in California and as far as I know, the last owners were also in CA.

Diane D
Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
I have uploaded the factory service/repair manual for the NT series furnace to Donna D. who is one of the gurus at large keeping the gears behind F.B.R.V.turning neatly.

Lets wait for the manual to appear, post when you have access to it, or email me thru the F.B.R.V. personal messages, We can open another thread or I will watch this one for a message you have it now.

Harry
Harry, you did such a great job on the PDF, I felt compelled to get it uploaded... folks are a-waitin'! Besides, I needed a break from research/writing and this was a good excuse.

Find the manual here: From the Document Center - Suburban NT Service Manual
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Harry,
Thank you so much for the information. Waiting for the manual is fine - I'm still working my way through the window and wood rot repair so that will give me time to finish all of that. Then I can haul the Scamp outside again and work on the furnace.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Waiting for the manual is fine -
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

I spoke to soon, Donna came thru ahead of schedule and the manual is there for all to see. "thanks Donna" Its in the documents center now. Counting this frame go up 4 to where Donna F.Y.I.s the link to all.

Harry

Quote:
Harry,
Thank you so much for the information. Waiting for the manual is fine - I'm still working my way through the window and wood rot repair so that will give me time to finish all of that. Then I can haul the Scamp outside again and work on the furnace.