Water Regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Water Regulator

do I need a Water Regulator for the city water hose?
Water Regulator with 40 to 50 PSI?

this is for a 2016 13ft Scamp

Thanks for the help
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I've been told to always use a regulator when hooking up to city/campground water - not sure about the pressure - I think they are all the same.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
do I need a Water Regulator for the city water hose?
Water Regulator with 40 to 50 PSI?

this is for a 2016 13ft Scamp

Thanks for the help
It's kind of like carrying a jack to change a flat tire. You probably won't need it, but if the pressure is too high and damages some water fittings the cost is a whole lot higher than the regulator.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
MY Answer is YES. I have encountered line pressures as high as 150+ PSI in campgrounds, and that can easily cause a leak or blow a fitting inside your new Scamp. Some campgrounds have to crank the line pressure that high to provide water to multiple sites and they will expect you to have a regulator to protect your rig. I have been asked on occasion if I have a regulator for that very reason. They are cheap insurance, <$10, why take a chance?

Always put the regulator at the hose valve end so you also protect your water hose.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to Walmart and buy one, they don't cost much, and always use it and you will not have to cry about your plumbing coming loose from excessive pressure later on.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I was at a campground in September that stated their water pressure was in excess of 90 PSI and a water regulator was absolutely necessary. I used one, but ended up blowing out two cheap water hoses anyway. I'm going to invest in a much better regulator for next season. As Bob said, they're cheap insurance.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The regulator needs to be on the campground faucet end however, if the hose is in the sun and it gets warm it can swell and eventually blow out. Use the best grade water hose.

You can also purchase an adjustable water pressure regulator with a gauge on it as additional insurance.

When I full timed at a Navy Campground, I custom made a water connection out of the black PVC flexible water tubing, wrapped a heat tape around it and covered it with the foam wrap and was good to go all year.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I always use one. Even if you estimate that the pressure is not too high by letting it run out of the hose before hooking up, the pressure can change over time, particularly late night/early morning. Not the time you want to hear spraying water in the walls!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Looks like six FOR and zero against (so far).. but another option is just fill your on-board tank and use that.

Just about every time I hooked up to "City" water (using a pressure regulator by the way), I have had a slow and steady drip from the hose, faucet and / or regulator. Half the time it leaves a muddy mess. And this even with new washers. Filling the tank and then stowing the hose solves that problem and is one less thing to deal with when its time to leave. (Of course if you go through more than one tank you have to get the hose out again to fill the tank). Of course if you have pressured "city" water but no electric service you might want to use the "city" water to avoid running the pump.. unless you have a hand pump.. so many variables!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Get the brass regulator, the blue plastic ones are too often junk.
Also, get a filter. They sell a good one at Walmart.
I use a filter and a pressure regulator because you can never tell what kind of junk might come from shore water and the filter will keep sand and dirt from getting into the camper.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Looks like six FOR and zero against (so far).. but another option is just fill your on-board tank and use that.

Just about every time I hooked up to "City" water (using a pressure regulator by the way), I have had a slow and steady drip from the hose, faucet and / or regulator. Half the time it leaves a muddy mess. And this even with new washers. Filling the tank and then stowing the hose solves that problem and is one less thing to deal with when its time to leave. (Of course if you go through more than one tank you have to get the hose out again to fill the tank). Of course if you have pressured "city" water but no electric service you might want to use the "city" water to avoid running the pump.. unless you have a hand pump.. so many variables!

A lot of FGRV peeps go for full hook-up and often for extended stays making tank filling and limited water flow for showers from a pump sometimes a drag. Not only that, you could wind up with a full tank of water when you are ready to leave and have to haul that around or (gasp!) waste it by dumping it.

Different camping styles call for different camping styles.....

Old 11-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Do you need a water pressure regulator? I say no.

If you have a water heater in your camper, and turn it on with cold water in the tank and allow it to heat up, you will see whatever pressure the relief valve on the heater is set to, usually 150 pounds.

Having said that, I've installed a water pressure meter in my camper; if I see water pressure in a campground over 70 PSI (or so), I use my pressure regulator.

--Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What if the water pressure changes when you're not looking?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't worry about it; life is too short.

My plumbing system handles the 150 PSI created when I fire up my cold water heater, and I (try to remember to) turn the campground water off when I leave the campsite for the day.

--Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/
Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #15

North Carolina
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;560929
Different camping styles call for different camping styles.....[/QUOTE]

Which is why I pointed out "so many variables!"

But thanks for making my point for me.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The regulator regulates it.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
... Not only that, you could wind up with a full tank of water when you are ready to leave and have to haul that around or (gasp!) waste it by dumping it. ...
Its so funny to hear from people form California.. where the temps stay temperate but water is scarce.. Around here we don't bat an eye at dumping 10 gallons of water.. heck, even a few 100 on the lawn just to make it pretty is no issue at all.

Actually is you are really hard up for water, then I would actually recommend the on-board tank method. It tends to encourage conservation and prevents the possibility of a ruptured hose which would dump water endlessly until discovered.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
But, isn't $12 for a regulator and peace of mind a small price to pay?
Gordon2. You need to read the thread again. I believe you and I are saying the same thing.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #19

The 150 PSI relief valve on water heaters is an emergency pop-off valve that opens only in the event of a run-away overheat. It does nothing to control or regulate pressure, it's not even in the water lines and, if it does open, you will have water all over the place.

If it were the case, every time I turned on the hot water in my RV or my house, the hot water would have higher pressure, but it doesn't.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The 150 PSI relief valve on water heaters is an emergency pop-off valve that opens only in the event of a run-away overheat. It does nothing to control or regulate pressure, it's not even in the water lines and, if it does open, you will have water all over the place.

If it were the case, every time I turned on the hot water in my RV or my house, the hot water would have higher pressure, but it doesn't.
The valve on your water heater is a *combination* device. It opens when temperature is too high, or when pressure is too high. You are correct in that is does not control pressure.

The reason the water pressure in your house never gets high when your water heater comes on is two-fold. 1) you are not starting with cold water, so there is less expansion when the water heats up. 2) Your house probably does not have a one-way check valve where the water enters your house. This means that any expansion due to water heating is pushed back into the city water system. If it does have a check valve, you probably have an expansion tank that will limit the pressure rise.

--Dan Meyer
Dan and Dawn's Scamp Travel Trailer