Water Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Water Tanks

Has anyone actually seen damage or experienced problems from travelling with water in their fresh water tanks
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would doubt that any damage would result, but water is heavy (~8 lbs/gal) and the tanks are at the very back and so they increase all weight, and reduce the tongue weight. I only put 1/2 or less water in our fresh tank, but travel with two water bags in the truck, if needed. Otherwise fill up at the campground after arrival.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:18 AM   #3
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
I understand the weight/tongue weight issue. I have a front rack on my trailer tongue which eliminates the tongue weight issue and total weight with water(12 gallons 100lbs) tank full is still under 3000 lbs. The recommendations that I have seen are to carry a full tank vs partial to reduce wave action.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have had two tanks fail. Thank God it was after filling up in a campground, and not going down the road.
In the Boler it let loose after a bad road from where the campground water was available and got to the site only to see that tank had split in it and was leaking, the other was in the currently owned Casita and again filling up at a state park and getting to site seam had split open. These tanks were installed by previous owner and were of ABS plastic. I have since installed a 20 gal. polyethylene plastic resin tank and hung it off the frame onto a cradle of inch and half "L" brackets and feel safe traveling with it full, although I can feel the extra tug on the truck when it is full and we hit a bump.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Freaky water Tank Accident

While on the road on one occasion, blew the right tire on the Scamp. The tire shredded and a piece broke through the flooring under the water tank and sheared off the drain valve of the tank.

Just one adventure we had on that trip.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Had 2 fail. Fresh water and grey water. Best to fill water as you get close to your destination. Also, word of advice: check the tank mounting brackets, usually an angle iron with the tank casting flange seated on the lip of the angle iron, then have someone add tank supports. There are youtube videos to show what people have done. Cheap insurance to save you from disaster. RV manufacturer's do a poor job of tank specs and mounting tanks securely.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I regularly travel with a full potable tank. A lot of times I am going where water may not be available. I also generally take two 6 gallon water jugs that I store in the shower. That will last me several days if I need it to. Of course if I will have easy access to water I don't. I also have a small electric pump to pump from the jugs to the tank.

I also regularly travel home or part of the way home with filled gray and black water. Again a lot of times I am where dumping is not available. Then have to dump later.

But that is because of a lot of what I do with my camper, which is generally highly nonstandard.
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote