way cool Batwing awning info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Trail-Mite 13"
Colorado
way cool Batwing awning info

We just sold our 1972 Trail-Mite camper in less than 2 hours on Craigslist and thought I would post about the most ask about part of our camper, the Batwing!
Apparently these units were standard on early VW Vanagons. They are available at ShadyBoy.com - Home and sooooo cool. Purchased a 15.10 foot 1954 Aljoa Sportsman in mint condition and are sad to leave the fiberglass community for the "canned ham" side...... kinda sacrilegious I know.....and who sells a 1972 to buy a 1954????? my WIFE thats who. See ya on the road!

BATWING IN THE WIND!
Could not make other campers more jealous...... Most mornings as the wind kicks up and you watch as everyone scrambles to "crank" down their awnings, the wife and I would relax and watch in awe as our Batwing would silently and so very slowly rise, rise, rise and then, just as effortlessly begin it's descent and right before touching ground, hover at a standstill only to rise and descend several more times until the wind storm ended. You see, we used a trick the South African professor we purchased our Egg from had taught us........ By filling the 2 little bags that tent stakes come in with pebbles/stones, (a good activity to busy the kids while setting up camp), and attaching them to the guy wires/nylon ropes normally used as stake down support ropes, and having said ropes drop the length of the each front pole till they (the attached bag of stones) rests on the ground at the poles base, the entire Batwing AND poles rise ever so gracefully with the strong wind sometimes going up and down and sometimes (very amazingly) hovering a foot or so off the ground before returning right back to their original position!!!!! You have to see it to believe it but many a neighbor after running to their "crank" in the nick of time has burned us a crusty look while we remained seated enjoying our coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3200.jpg   IMG_3232.jpg  

IMG_2829.jpg   IMG_4619.jpg  

IMG_4658.jpg  
rrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Canned Ham's are very cool Robert, I can understand the decision.
I was looking at the bat-wing awnings a while ago and was thinking seriously about one, although I have one question.

How do they stand-up or any concerns in the wind? I do take my awnings in when the wind picks up but sometimes a gust goes through unexpectedly. I would love to hear your experiences.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
way cool Batwing awning info

Thanks for posting with the link. I was one that inquired... I'm intrigued. I love the flexibility of a separate awning, and my FirstUp has served me well, but the light weight, compact size, and cleverness of this design is very tempting. I, too, am curious if anyone has any experience with one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Colorado
Hey Ian, I added wind info to my original post. Plus, there is 1x u tube video on the shadyboy. Have fun out there.
Robert
Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Colorado
Hey Jon, diddo above added on to original post. We plan on putting a shadyboy on BOTH sides of our new '54'
Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

Colorado
Bag of stones visible in photos
Old 01-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
awning

How much for one $ planning on making one like boat canvas this looks lighter and easier
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
How much for one $ planning on making one like boat canvas this looks lighter and easier
No idea, ours came with. Shadyboy.com should have your answer.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Country Campers has them for about $400... so, they're about $500 with the vertical poles and shipping figured in.

I would think (speculating) that a really strong wind from the wrong direction could break a string and then damage the poles and/or fabric. Robert, how much wind do you think yours could take without damage? 35 mph? 50 mph? 70 mph?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Colorado
Not a scientist Mike, but the point of using a bag of stones INSTEAD of staking the poles is to give it buoyancy! Try it it's amazing. We have hooked the ropes under the camper so we could still be away from the sleeping kids in a torrential rain storm.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mike, this is the replay from my inquiry to the company making them.

Hello David,
the Shady Boy awning with the silver fabric sells for $315.CAD or $300. US if shipped to the US.
There are no taxes or duties to be paid if the shipment is to the US.
Installation is easy with basic tools. Instructions are supplied and most elect to install it themselves.
Stainless steel mounting brackets are $30. if needed.
Optional downdraft poles are $36.
Awning case is clear anodized.
Optional black anodized cap is $35.
Cost of shipping depends on where you are. US west coast is $55.
If you like more information or if you are not sure about the suitability of this awning, please feel free to contact me anytime or visit Shadyboy.com.
Thanks
Wolfgang
(1 604 868 0269 PST)
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Buying direct is cheaper, nice to know.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks for posting the info from Batwing, I'm going to check into them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Robert;

Is your awning silver? It looks white on my monitor but white is not listed on the Shadyboy site!

"Colors - Sky Blue, Mountain Blue, Burgundy, Silver (optional)"
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrank View Post
Not a scientist Mike, but the point of using a bag of stones INSTEAD of staking the poles is to give it buoyancy! Try it it's amazing. We have hooked the ropes under the camper so we could still be away from the sleeping kids in a torrential rain storm.
I understand that, but still at some point the wind speed could become high enough to overcome the system weight and push the whole thing upward disastrously. I'm just wondering what that wind speed would be. After all, the batwing awning would make a splendid sail (for a few seconds before it got destroyed) if it were lifted too high by a gust. Storm gusts of 50 to 70 mph are not rare; would this awning survive such a gust, I wonder?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM   #16

Colorado
Mike, the only time we took it down was while camping lakeside in the 'constant' 'continuous' lake effect wind because it never seemed to touch the ground. But in a campground you're protected to some degree. Point is, last season we saw 2 'metal crankers' get bent on one side or the other because of being hard lined as opposed to our stone bag buoyancy! You're gonna love it, plus it's an attention getter, you'll be the talk of the campground and get many compliments.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #17

Colorado
It does appear to be white but my wife says it's silver. The new owners picked it up last night so I'll never win my wife's one dollar color bet! Maybe it was faded over the years. Maybe the new owners of Matilda will become FRV members and have the answer. As for us, spent last evening looking for a vintage canned ham site/club comparable to this Fiberglass site but it seemed as though you have to be a female who owns 8 or more cats and enjoys everything '50's Diner style. Just saying
Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Robert;

Is your awning silver? It looks white on my monitor but white is not listed on the Shadyboy site!

"Colors - Sky Blue, Mountain Blue, Burgundy, Silver (optional)"
They also picture a green one. Perhaps these colours are not presently available. Would be worth asking if you were to order.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #19

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
We had a Shady Boy awning on our Boler and loved it. Pix here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-58844-2.html. The stones idea is interesting. In windy conditions we used the custom poles and attached them to ground stakes with a bungee cord inline. Worked well in pretty high winds, though I don't know the exact velocity. Probably helps that there's a gap between the awning and the camper to release pressure.

One of our awning connectors broke and the vendor sent us a new one at no charge. Great service!
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning