WDH too strong? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
WDH too strong?

I have a Big Foot 25RQ. I am loading it now for the first trip in it. I have not yet weighed it because it is not fully loaded. I have a Sherline Scale which I will use to weigh the tongue, after the TT is loaded.

I bought a Blue Ox sway pro 1500. I probably should have bought the 1000 lb arms instead.

Assuming the final tongue weight is, for the sake of this question, 800 lbs.

Can I still use the 1500 lb arms? Will it be unsafe to do so?

I have never used the Blue OX WDH.

My previous trailer was a Casita and I used the Andersen WDH for sway control.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #2

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I have a Big Foot 25RQ. I am loading it now for the first trip in it. I have not yet weighed it because it is not fully loaded. I have a Sherline Scale which I will use to weigh the tongue, after the TT is loaded.

I bought a Blue Ox sway pro 1500. I probably should have bought the 1000 lb arms instead.

I have never used the Blue OX WDH.

My previous trailer was a Casita and I used the Andersen WDH for sway control.
Our 25RQ had 950#'s of tongue weight and we used 1,000# bars. If you have the storage box on front you'll probably go over 1,000'#s. If you do only have 800#'s I would not use the 1,500# bars. The bars are intended to bend to work properly.

We've had a number of WDH's and the Blue Ox is by far the easiest and cleanest hitch we've ever owned. Sold the 25RQ when we got a smoking deal on a Lance (mistake for us) and now have an Escape 5th wheel, but if we ever go back to a pull the Blue Ox will be our WDH.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks you Perry, very much appreciated. I will wait and measure the tongue weight after it is fully loaded.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

Henry,

I'm not sure what you mean by unsafe. I don't think that using heavier springs would impose any driving or handling hazards per se.

Springs which are too strong will definitely impose greater stresses on the trailer, the hitch assemblies, and the tow vehicle's frame or unibody structure. This would be especially true when you crossed a low point such as when crossing a low gutter as you enter a driveway approach.

Someone had been running 1,000 lb bars on our Casita with an Eaz-Lift WDH. That was far too strong as we ran a maximum of about 400 lbs tongue weight on the Casita. I looked into lighter bars; 600 lb bars were available. Ultimately, I just never used the WDH as the Audi handled the trailer so well without one.

I've pondered using a WDH with the Escape 21 on our JGC. As we have been running between 500 to 550 lbs on the tongue weight I've looked into hitches with bars rated on the order of 400 lbs to reduce the stresses, realizing that this would in turn reduce the amount of weight transfer achieved.

Jeep calls for using a WDH when the tongue weight exceeds 500 lbs. The maximum tow ratings are 720 / 7,200. We don't have substantial "squat". We are currently well within our towing, payload, axle and gross weight ratings. So, I figure that using 400 lb bars might be satisfactory in our case.

While the idea of using springs with a lower rating is just a bit of theorizing on my part, I do think that using overly-heavy springs would impose some excess stresses.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thanks Mike. I may just use the 1500's this season and see how harsh a ride it is.