we may need to paint after all - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Kirk and his buddy JR took the Scamp out last night to Brazos Bend State Park, had a good night camping, the trouble started on the way home. They hit a can of baby blue paint which splattered all over the side of the TV and the front corner and window of the trailer. We were able to remove the blue paint from the TV and window, but it would not come off the trailer. The paint that was used on the outside of the trailer appears to be flat interior paint, and it was wiping off with the blue paint. So now we have a big blue splatter all over the front end. We are thinking of power washing it to get it clean and trying to paint it again with some kind of exterior paint. I don't know if we should bother removing the old layers of paint, as we don't care if it has a professional looking finish, it certainly doesn't have one now. I am afraid to take on stripping it down and then painting... that is a lot of work.

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
April,

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about the paint incident. What a drag (although, strangely, just the other night I was wondering how a Jackson Pollock style paint job would look on an egg).

One thing to think about as you approach painting your Scamp, is that in the paint world, you can only go "down" in paint strength. In other words, you can put a "soft" paint over a "hard" paint, but not the reverse.

It sounds like you have a latex paint there (guessing by how easily it seems to be dissolving or coming off), which would probably not make a great base for new paint. One thing you can do to try to figure out what you have (hence what you could overcoat with) would be to try various solvents out to see what dissolves the paint and what doesn't.

Even though you don't want to do a big paint job, experience tells me that you might want to consider just biting the bullet and removing your paint so that you can start fresh. Otherwise it can turn into the labor equivalent of "there's nothing so expensive as trying to save a little money."

On the bright side, once you got to grinding (or sanding or stripping or whatever method you choose) it probably wouldn't take you very long to remove a not-so-good layer of paint. It would take some work, but nothing to be afraid of. I mean, it can be some hard work, but it's nothing that takes great skill. And who knows, it might come off relatively easily.

I've had to train myself over the years to think of painting as "A bunch of time spent prepping followed by a few minutes of applying paint." In other words, although I always want to get right down to the satisfaction of painting, it's really just the cherry on top of the sundae of preparation.

Okay, now that probably all sounds grim, and I don't mean it to. It just sounds like you're dealing with someone else's quickie paint job, that they might have done with some leftover.... whatever paint, and maybe it would be best just to make it history.

I'm sure glad you were able to get the paint off your main vehicle. And that no-one was hurt on the road.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I see three possiblities:

1. Get some more baby blue paint, cover the whole egg and then wipe it off to remove the old paint.

2. Get some more baby blue paint and paint the egg that color.

3. Hit all available paint cans on the highway and repaint your egg ala 'modern art.'

Take your choice.

Sorry, I really do sympathize with you having your egg damaged. But you know the old saying:

"If you drop your eggs, make an omlet."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Thanks for the laugh!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp

Quote:
I see three possiblities:

1. Get some more baby blue paint, cover the whole egg and then wipe it off to remove the old paint.

2. Get some more baby blue paint and paint the egg that color.

3. Hit all available paint cans on the highway and repaint your egg ala 'modern art.'

Take your choice.

Sorry, I really do sympathize with you having your egg damaged. But you know the old saying:

"If you drop your eggs, make an omlet."
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting