We need A/C - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
We need A/C

So, we are on our second camping trip this season in our 1974 Eco and it is becoming rough to bear the heat. We have a fan, but that's all! Any recommendations on putting A/C on/in this thing! I attached a photo of our fan and ceiling. We have a pop up piece to let hot air out, but it does not have a fan. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1503787101.170291.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	110784

Any information helps! Fans are not cutting it anymore.
BrowningSchubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
portable A/C

There are a number of portable units at places like Home Depot and Lowes. They vent out a window -- need 110AC -- are not real efficient. But they will work during the hot months, and can be stored, and not hauled around during the rest of the year. Google "portable room air conditioners" and it will so you a bunch of them. They work reasonably well, are in the $200-300 range. The alternative is to Temp mount a cheep window one, K corbin has a mod for the camper being rebuilt.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
We will have to look into them. When the sun it hitting us, man it gets hot!
BrowningSchubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I would probably do one of two things - 1)build a support and use a small 5000-6000 btu window air conditioner or 2)remove the roof vent and install a Maxxfan or Fantastic Fan and forego AC. Really hard to install a heavy roof mounted AC unit on a Boler, an Eco or equiavelent because of the weight causing roof sagging.

The only disadvantage to the window ac unit would be you'd have to lug it around, take it down and set it up.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Robert and Eric, I'm not sure where you would do a removable installation of a window unit on an Eco. Like Bolers and vintage Scamps, it has jalousies on the side windows and fixed plexiglass front and rear.

To me the options are a portable unit (still have to figure out how to rout the hoses), a permanent closet installation of a window unit (have to cut vent holes in the shell; tricky to get air circulation and drainage right), or one of the mini-split units (which I know nothing about, but I've seen where others have used them).

I like the idea of a powered roof vent. It does better than a window or table fan, but it may or may not be enough.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
That's true Jon, the Jalousie windows do complicate it. The portable self-contained units would be a problem as well, since there isnt much floor space and they don't cool much area. Perhaps that's still a better choice. A mini split would work, but not without extensive modifications and installation steps, and providing the tongue could take the condenser unit. No easy answer with that trailer. I'm wondering if the Jalousie panes could be removed when needed to accomodate the window unit? Barring that I would probably go with my other suggestion - nix the AC and go with a fantastic fan or Maxxfan.

With these classic Bolers, Ecos and the like, I'm too used to seeing them with no ac, and adding it seems almost a sacrilege. That's why a non permanent unit seems to me a more appropriate choice. [emoji4]